eating for one | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

eating for one

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luci, Oct 14, 2010.

1. luci

luci Registered

:hehe: Ok since Robert and his mom died I am cooking for one. Help I either snack all day and do not eat a meal or throw half the stuff out I do cook. Anybody no where to find recipies for one.:rolleyes:

2. pippa10

pippa10 Registered

Hi Luci, have you tried cooking and freezing. My friend would have one night a week where she coked maybe making 2/3 different dishes putting them into one meal portions and freezing them. So each morning she would take one of her frozen dinners into work and use the microwave to heat it. It worked well for her I do it now with soup. Pip

3. doris999

doris999 Registered

Hi Luci,
    I was going to suggest the same as Pippa. It is easy i do it all the time for 4 people.
    There are books as well if you need ideas.
    Good luck,
    Sandra.

4. redknight

redknight Registered

Hi Luci,
    I have a friend who has a website with a section called cooking for one. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it on here but if you're interested, please PM me and I'll give you the link.

5. daisy246

daisy246 Registered

Hi Luci,

I'm on my own too. I went through a phase of bulk cooking but it didn't work for me personally as freezer is only a slimine upright and was too full of the same sort of meals to provide enough variety and I lost the enthusiasm to eat them.

What I do now is cook components of meals then freeze individual portions in sandwich bags, less bulky than plastic boxes, then I can ring the changes much more easily. I'll often do this with a whole bag of brown rice or bulghur, or cook some potatoes/sweet potatoes and puree them. Same with pasta, just cook it, no sauce or anything, and freeze. If I buy a whole pack of sausages or chicken breasts, I'll cook the whole lot then freeze in portions. Just defrost then add whatever I please. I'll make tomato based or white sauces and freeze. If you make them quite plain, you can spice them up, add cheese etc when you use, according to your mood. When I fancy a baked potato, I'll cook five then freeze four. No point using all that electricity just for one spud!

When my food order arrives I always peel all the onions and zap them in the processor then freeze so that they're chopped and ready when I need them. My food order comes weekly, so I have to over-buy stuff. If it's something that doesn't last well, peppers say (think you call them bell peppers in the states) I slice and freeze raw what I think will deteriorate before the end of the week. Saves on the wastage, and my money!

Don't get me wrong, I still keep a lot of fresh veg and stuff in the fridge, but I also find that having the basic components of a meal already prepared really helps time and inspiration wise and I can do whatever I like to them as energy and mood take me. I find it's not much hassle to cook a fillet of beef or fish when most of the accompanying stuff has already been done.

Well, hope this helps, I'm just off to have one of my baked spuds with tuna and salad!

Daisy

6. luci

luci Registered

Thanks all I will try your suggestions

7. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Hi Luci,
    Do you have anyone with whom you could share the cooking? Like for my parents, when I make a batch of spaghetti/red meat sauce, I freeze it in individual batches for myself and double for them. That way, we get what we like, but it is convenient to not have to deal with it for both of us. I do this also with soups and then freeze. I buy a cheap piece of meat on sale, rump roast was recently this one, and then cut it into individual batches for stews. I also do this when sweet onions are in season and don't want to waste them. Hadn't thought about this with peppers, but like it......

I am one of those who enjoys cooking....so do it for myself. The suggestions from others were good as well. Hadn't thought to freeze left over pasta and will use that idea. Since I have to use rice pasta, this gets pricy and often wished I had another way to deal with it. I wonder if leaving it just a bit more aldente would be best so that when it is put in the micro that it will heat and cook at the same time.
    Sally

8. Marika

Marika Marika

Hi,
    I also cook for one most of the time, at first it was fun cooking what i wanted but then eating alone wasn'T. Then i went thru the stage of just snacking , sandwiches, bits and bobs. Then I realise I was putting more weight on. sooooooooooooo I bought one of those contact grills , only a small one. So an example of my meal tonight made in 15mins.
    2 potaoes done in the micro wave for 6mins,
    broccolli at same time droped in boinging water (seasoned) and left to steam,
    Potatoes almost ready
    filet of fish with lemon juice done on the grill for 3/4 mins.
    mixed sauer cream with some soft herb cheese for potatoes.
    I use my grill a lot now for lots of things, I too cook a batch of stuff chilli ect, in small portions and usuall eat it once a week at least. I do think it's not the cooking for one, it's the eating on your own thats not fun, so I usually eat in front on the TV. now. sitting at a table on my own just doesn't do it for me.
    I hope you work it out, but on your own I think it's important to get a balanced diet (not like mine bar of chocalate in each hand) I really went thru a stage of comfort eating, crisps, choc, cake ect.
    good luck
    Marika

9. luci

luci Registered

thank you all the grill is a great ideal I have been cooking and freezing and it seems to be working pretty good. Thank you

10. Paulin46

Paulin46 Registered

Daisy what great ideas. I am inspired by your ideas. Thank you!

11. daisy246

daisy246 Registered

Thank you Pauline. I was having a very low day as have had to retire early because of med problems, so you just made me feel a whole lot better. What I miss most from work (apart from the money) is the repartee with colleagues and the occasional pat on the head!

Daisy

12. Paulin46

Paulin46 Registered

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy. I'm glad I could make you feel better. Anytime you want to help mentor me with your excellent ideas, I am available.:foryou: