Eating healthy | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Eating healthy

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by maryalice40, Jan 26, 2012.

1. maryalice40

maryalice40 Registered

I have seen some videos online from MD's that state that eating a healthy diet can relieve most of the symptoms you have..

I wonder how true this may be.

I have been studying anatomy and physiology and it pretty much states how your eating habits can affect your health.

Chronic disorders can be brought on by bad eating habits.

People who eat healthy, like vegetarians, rarely have diseases.

All this processed food is full of stuff that can make us sick. Steriods and hormones in meats. Pesticides on fruits and vegetables. Our water comes from the sewage system! Yuck! This stuff will make you sick.

So has anyone tried to eat vegetarian to try to control your symptoms? I am hearing it can put you in remission of your symptoms but I don't know how true that is.

I am trying it, just hope it helps.

I'm having symptoms related to problems with my arteries, and I know my choices of food is the reason why.

It makes sense, if you eat heatlhy, your immune system will function better, and that should make you feel better.

2. debatat

debatat Moderator

We have had many threads on this subject. Eating healthily is an important part of trying to keep yourself well, and we do feel better for doing so. However, it is not a substitute for meds, which we need and can literally be lifesavers.

I would speak to your doctor before embarking on any diet change.

3. Rebecca_g

Rebecca_g Registered

Hiya

I've been vegetarian for 20 years and it hasn't helped me :) Sorry!

I don't drink, don't smoke, only drink tea or water, grow my own organic veg, no meat or fish, cook from scratch every night.....and am the most unhealthy person I know! I think I should take UP some bad habits.

I don't think it's a diet thing, this lupus business, but it's always a good idea to improve your diet anyway. Let me know if you want any good recipes! x

4. denalirat

denalirat rockstar!

i have to agree with deb and rebecca on this one. first, don't make any drastic diet changes without first talking to your doctor. i truly believe moderation is key and that the diet that works for one person might not be the best for another person -- you need to find what works for you and still gets you the nutrients your body needs.

personally, i developed symptoms when i was very young, became lacto-ovo vegetarian at 16, and then became pescetarian (eat salmon & tilapia mostly) at about 27 because i felt like i was not getting enough protein and my rheumatologist recommended that i try adding fish only. i have not found any of this to affect how i feel (although adding fish & quinoa were good for me as i think i needed more protein and i didn't want to eat processed soy products all the time). the biggest thing that affects how i feel in terms of diet is whether i get sufficient amounts of fresh foods -- vegetables & fruits. if i slack on that and start eating just a bunch of processed foods, i do tend to feel a little bit worse....but i think that is honestly just a reaction to eating less healthy stuff and anyone could have that experience whether they are healthy or not!

i think saying "People who eat healthy, like vegetarians, rarely have diseases" is a very huge generalization. being a vegetarian will not fix or cure your illness. eating a healthy, balanced diet though is obviously recommended for anyone out there...not just lupus patients. :)

kit

Silvia Giebitz likes this.
  5. dmarie

dmarie Registered

I really don't think having lupus means one is unhealthy.

My labs show that other than having lupus I am actually quite healthy. I am out of shape and overweight but that is because I am not out of a flare long enough (or twist ankle etc.) to get back in shape and the older I get (60yrs) the harder it is. I have been decaffeinated, de-sugared, and have tried over the years to make stuff from scratch and I cannot say it made a difference with my lupus.

I could go on and on about the way we have all contributed to poisoning the earth and everything we eat is affected but I won't.

dmarie

I am going to go eat a doughnut.

6. Kudos to dmarie for the parting comment!! :rotfl:

7. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Sweet !!

8. Rozie

Rozie Registered

Of course eating the right things is going to help with the general running of your body but whether it will affect the symptoms of your lupus is another issue. I have recently put weight on because i am on steroids i am now a size 12 in clothing and about 5 ft 3. I made the mistake in the beginning of eating whatever i liked which did include a balanced healthy diet and also a lot of sugary stuff on -top quite frankly because that was what i seemed to be craving and i am literally hungry all the time. what i have now realised is that yes I can still eat what i like but its about making sure you get the balance right of the amount of food, the type of food and counting the calories in what you are choosing to eat. Changing what i eat has made no difference to my lupus because regardless of what we eat our immune system is going to go up and down anyway but it will help with your general health. Being over restrictive can have an impact on your mood and not listening to what your body needs could mean that you become defficient in some vitamins... my own advice to myself quite simply is to eat what i like in moderation making sure that i eat a balanced diet. Give myself a break some of the time and know when to be a bit restrictive with the amount of calories i am consuming each day if my body is craving sugary foods. Another thing I also crave is salty food too especially when particularly unwell and it is certainly worth watching your salt intake for the sake of your general health.

If Lupus would respond to diet i am pretty sure we would have been referred to dieticians and nutritionalists before our rheumatologists and GP's would ever prescribe some of the drugs some of us take and so i think their is a place for a healthy diet to compliment our treatment but it wont be effective enough on its own.

So yes folks I will joing you in a doughnut :-D

9. Sooki

Sooki Junior Member

I have been eating a Paleo diet for over a year and felt some improvement (I have lupus and sjogrens). But since September, I have been eating the Autoimmune Protocol subset of the Paleo diet. Essentially, I eat lots of veggies, meat and fish, and fruit. And nothing else. (No grains, sugar, beans, nuts, seeds, nightshade veggies, oils, processed anything) Because I buy everything in either the meat or produce department, I wind up not spending as much on food as I used to - no bread, grains, nuts, sugar, oils, drinks, baked goods, canned goods, frozen dinners, etc. The difference has been amazing. I was able to go off cellcept for 3 months (until derailed by the holiday season) and felt good! I hope to be able to go off again soon.

My sources for this diet include the Terry Wahls TedX talk (on YouTube) and thepaleomom dot com website. Sarah Ballantyne has a new book out on it which has a great description of how the immune system creates the autoimmune reaction and how nutrition can ease the inflammation. It takes some commitment to eat this way. But it feels soooo good to not hurt and to be able to think again, that it's a small price to pay.

Knowing how to control your inflammation symptoms is a powerful tool. My new slogan - Nothing feels as good as feeling good does.

Reggie B and Silvia Giebitz like this.
  10. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

Hi Sooki -

Glad you found something that works well for you. I don't think it would work for everyone though, but it's great it has benefited you.

Take care

11. acquiesce

acquiesce Junior Member

I've been eating a basically paleo diet, taking vitamin and mineral supplements and drinking gallons of water and the only change has been that I pee a rainbow. As much as my urine color of the day can be entertaining, I have to say that it is the only change I've experienced.

For all the vitamin a b c d e f, g that I take I still managed to manifest a horrific sinus and chest infection from the virus going around. Screw that. Someone hand me a chocolate cake! ;)

12. Silvia Giebitz

Silvia Giebitz New Member

Thanks, I can not join the eat the doughnut club, getting off my diet, would cause me a two day misery. I eat greens, onions, cabbage, broccoli, organic chicken on occasion, grapefruit and papaya smoothie, no grains, no bread, no sweets. A candida attack made me suspend my squash and sweet potatoes, hopefully I will be having them when I get the candida in check.

13. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Silvia, this poster hasn't been back since July 2015.
    Perhaps you could start a thread introducing yourself?
    Take care,
    Lyn