Esa | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would tell you I am about to embark on my first ESA journey and I am terrified!

I had a letter from my employer to say my SSP will be stopping on 23rd April so I have filled in an online questionnaire for ESA (at the DWP site) and they are supposed to be calling me back in the next day or so.

I have requested a paper form be sent to me as I don't think I will cope with a 40 minute session on the phone. Plus I will get tongue-tied and say the wrong thing.

I am so frightened of messing this application up as everyone I have spoken to says what a nightmare procedure it all is.

Wish me luck.....

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Good luck Tracy.

It might help if you have a list of all your symptoms and how they affect you at hand so you don't leave anything out in the conversation. Also list any side effects your medications cause which might affect you at work. Knowing how many days work you missed due to illness or for appointments might be of benefit also.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. MountainbikeLynne

MountainbikeLynne Registered

Good luck Tracy

I'm not sure if CAB might be help you to complete the form - not sure if that's in their remit, but might be worth a phone call to see?

4. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Wishing you luck in this. Not sure what ESA is? Can you explain if you have time and it is not too complicate. Thanks.

5. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

6. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Thanks Lazylegs, I think I am going to insist they send me the paper form so I can take my time over it.

Thanks Lynne, I may well look into that.

Thanks Karol. ESA is Employment and Support Allowance and from what I understand it's the most complicated sickness benefit ever invented!! I'm afraid I can't explain as I don't really understand it myself!!

xx

7. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Thanks Clare. I will look at the link.

8. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Seems it is like our Social Security Disability program.

9. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hi Tracy,
    Good luck with your ESA claim and phone call. I know I'm always banging on about Occy Health but is this something they would support you with too?
    Hope it goes ok,

10. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Unfortunately I am being made redundant so I don't think it would be appropriate to ask, thanks for the idea though. xx

11. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

No way???? Is this through ill health? Sorry, I'm so behind on your situation as I haven't been on the site properly for so long. Poor you x

12. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Falling pupil numbers - 2 TAs and one full time teacher going. I think all my sick leave helped make their minds up that I was one of the redundancies. :(

13. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

All the best with your claim but it's such a shame that you're in this position.

14. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

I loved that job but it really was getting too much for me so maybe this is for the best, I can get my surgery done and then get the other symptoms under control without the pressure of work and the guilt of having time off. xx

15. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Well I had a phone call today re: the ESA, and they are happy for me to have a paper copy of the form rather than do it over the phone which is great, at least I am not put on the spot forcing me to forget things and get tongue tied....so far, so good!! ;)

16. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Great news Tracy - I'm pleased for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get the outcome you deserve.
    Lots of luck,

17. MountainbikeLynne

MountainbikeLynne Registered

That's one positive step Tracy - here's hoping the rest are equally as positive!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

18. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Tracy,

Remember to write in pencil 1st, then once happy go over in black ink ;).

19. Fiona30ni

Fiona30ni Registered

Tracey if ya need any help pm me cause I completed ESA50 in july last year and also been through medical. Take your time filling the form in. There is a website www.benefitsandwork.co.uk has some good advice. I joined btw.

Fiona

20. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Thanks Lynne x

Thanks Lesley, good tip, hope you're doing okay...aren't you due to have surgery round about now? Sorry, I know you told me when but my memory isn't great! x

Thanks Fiona, yes I joined that website too. I am also going to attempt to get middle rate care DLA instead of low rate as I need a lot more help than when I got the award. I'll def PM you if I get stuck!! x