Essential Oils | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Essential Oils

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by cjmclaughlin, Feb 22, 2010.

1. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

Have any of you tried using essential oils to relieve some of your symptoms from your lupus? I just ordered some from a friend that has had great success with them for her Crohns disease. She still takes some meds but has been able to reduce a bunch of them with the help of the oils. I'm not ingesting anything but just using them in a holistic approach and wondering if anyone else has had any success with them. Since I had to go off most of my meds, I am trying anything I can to help with my lupus.

2. debatat

debatat Moderator

Hi, I love essential oils, I find them very relaxing. However, some can be toxic so great care must always be used. Some oils should not be used for certain conditions. For example some can affect blood pressure, liver, kidneys etc. Some have an extremely sedative effect and you should not drive after using them. I hope you enjoy using them. Remember you need only a couple of drops for effect.

3. doris999

doris999 Registered

Thanks Deb,
    I don't use them, but i did'nt realise that they can effect you in that way.
    CJM,
    I would check them out with a professonal first, before you use them.
    Like Deb said they could affect you in someway, and you don't want something to add to the list of things going on.
    Hugs.

4. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

Thanks for all of the advice and the warning...I spoke with my rheumy about it and actually got the oils from a licenesed holistic person (can't remember what they are called;))

5. quake26

quake26 Registered

CJM,

What are essential oils?

6. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I am as confused as Quake..............what are essential oils???
    I am very curious now.

7. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

Basically essential oils are oils that are used to help improve body systems. An example is lavendar and how you can put that oil on the bottom of your feet and it will help you to relax. Another example is Peppermint and how putting a few drops of that oil on your temples can help rejuvenate you and also help a headache. I've ordered a few like that to help with energy and depression and there is some good ones (or so I am told) for pain. I'll keep you all updated if they work to help relieve some of the symptoms.

8. debatat

debatat Moderator

Hi, me again with my cautious advice!!!! I am actually a fully qualified aromatherapist and reflexologist. The only essential oils that can be applied directly to the skin are lavender and tea tree oil. No other oil should ever be applied directly to the skin without being diluted in a base oil.

Hope they help you!!!

dinesh and Bada15 like this.
  9. quake26

quake26 Registered

Thanks cjm, I thought it was something that you would drink, or add to a drink.

Anthony...

10. debatat

debatat Moderator

Hi Cjm, your post has go me thinking. I stopped used holistic remedies as they made me so ill. However since my Alt levels have risen and I am unable to start MTX and have had to stop plaquenil, I have been looking at this area again. I have been having reflexology treatments and using a clay remedy ( yes really!!! lol ) to try and detox the meds from my liver. I have to say it is working, my last test the level had dropped thankfully. After my last ttreatnment I actually felt energised it was fabulous. I hope the oils help you. I am sure that there was an oil to help inflammation actually, I will have to have a look!!

Take care

11. Maura

Maura Registered

I have been using essential oils for many years now. I first learned about them after reading an article about it. Then I followed a course about aromatherapy. I use them a lot but never internally.
    Especially lavender and mandarin are very nice oils to relax. I have bought a candle diffuser and often use Tea Tree, Eucaluptus radiata, Thyme,...:hehe::hehe:
    I also started using beauty products on a natural base.
    :wink2::wink2::wink2:
    Hugs,

Maura

12. Kyphi

Kyphi Registered

Hi there, I felt compelled to respond to this post. I studied the science of essential oils at Liverpool University a number of years ago. They have fantastic therapeutic value however evidence to support their use is limited to mainly animal or in-vitro studies. Its important to state here that the profession isnt regulated and standards of education and training vary greatly so finding a therapist who is trained appropriately and works within their scope of practice can be very difficult. You need the expertise of someone who is a member of the the leading professional bodies such as the IFPA or IFA and who has studied A&P and disease at degree level at least.;) You wouldn't follow the guidance of a Dr or Nurse that hadn't met GMC or NMC standards of training so why should this be any different?

It must be remembered that essential oils are extremely concentrated i.e. to distill 10mls of some essential oil you would need a tonne of raw plant material; as some plants don't give up their oils easily. This lends itself to adulteration of oils which in turn leads to dangers when applying these to the skin.
    That said, most Essential oils have proven antimicrobial properties (they kill or disable bacteria, fungi and even some viruses). Tea tree is a good example of this but lots of other oils have similar properties.

I am on prednisolone and therefore am prone to skin infection - predominantly my toes. When infection starts I use a clean technique with a cotton bud to swab the area with tea tree and spike lavender. I have not yet needed antibiotics as the infection disappears within a week usually. Again that said I am NOT advocating that they be used instead of conventional therapies, Im just sharing my experiences. Lavender (my least favourite as its regarded as a panacea for everything) is actually very very good for urticaria (itchy skin) and I do apply this liberally to my poor legs when they are driving me insane! It doesn't last long but any reprieve is valuable to me :rolleyes: I am of course VERY interested in the anti-inflammatory properties of some Essential oils, and there are some excellent preliminary studies showing excellent results on smooth muscle; but the oils tested can be highly sensitising on the skin. So again, we need to be extremely cautious here.

Just be careful. Essential oils are fantastic - when used by the right people. They can also be very dangerous. If I had my way they would 'at least' be an over the counter product controlled by pharmacists, I can dream.

Aromatics is my profession so I could go on for ever here, so Im sorry for prattling on.:wink2:

13. susane

susane Registered

Someone that has sjogren's sent me a bottle with different things of essential oils, and said it was good to put a drop of it on my toothpaste to help with mouth ulcers. Does anyone know about this? I haven't tried it yet.

14. debatat

debatat Moderator

Essential oils are not advised to be taken internally.

15. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

Presumably you would be spitting it out along with the toothpaste. I would never use anything without knowing what's in it and doing my own research. I remember Kyphi very well - she was an exceptionally well informed person and very reliable. I'd go by what she said in her post above. You can get fairly effective products for mouth ulcers - ask your chemist in the first place. There are threads here about 'Magic Mix' recipes, mostly on prescription but not always, or there used to be. You can google it too.

16. tblazr

tblazr New Member

Organic lavender essential oil is safe to take internally gras. 1 to 2 dropd stirred in 8 oz water. Per my doc it is excellent for anxiety.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

17. keebler

keebler Moderator

Once again check with your own doctor on taking any meds.

x_claire_x likes this.
  18. Laura Waite

Laura Waite DX Oct 2016, attempting natural healing

I use many many essential oils. My favorite for lupus symptoms is Frankincense. I use it on my rashes and on my mouth sores (internally). I only use 100% Essential oils, not blends or perfumes.

I have a diffuser by my bed that gently floats all the scents / oils onto my head at night. I use Eucalyptus when i'm sick, lavender, clove oil, cinnamon, frankincense, lemongrass. These are mostly for things like de-stressing, and sinus issues, and just to make me feel better. I also put them in my bath. Some of the spicier ones can feel very very tingly, but you get used to it.

19. SueC

SueC Staying Simple

It's our bodies, so we could do whatever we want with it.
    However, I wouldn't drink those oils, no matter how many people say it is effective against this and that.
    Putting them in your bath, cosmetics, as a perfume, in your candles, etc. shouldn't be a problem.
    I love their edgy smells too. Eucalyptus is great. But I'd put it on my feet and on my wrist (as a perfume) and not drink it. :)

Hope u guys are feeling better. :)
    Xoxo

20. SueC

SueC Staying Simple

Just a funny thought.
    instead of experimenting on drinking essential oils, drink vodka. It's proven to work. It's made from potatoes and grains. :)
    dilute it and you could use it as an antiseptic. It works for toothaches(pure) and ear-aches(very diluted).