Facial Numbness and Tingling | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Facial Numbness and Tingling

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Nicky K, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Nicky K

Nicky K New Member

Hello, I have mild sle with various external symptoms and have had it for about 2 years. Lately for about the last 2 weeks I have had a facial numbness and tingling on the right side of my face. My doctor told it's a very unusual symptom of Lupus and I'm awaiting blood tests. I'm really worried since it might be something else. I was wondering if anyone else has this and if they know how long it lasts for.

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Nicky K and welcome to the forum.

What doctor told you that your symptom is unusual for lupus?
    Could you contact your rheumatologist and let him know what is going on?
    You are right about not wanting to wait.
    Here is a list of symptoms from the home page of this forum. Just click on a symptom and it will tell you about it.

https://www.thelupussite.com/lupus_symptoms/lupus_symptoms.html
    Please take care of yourself.
    Lyn

3. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

I agree that you need to let your Rheumy know...neurological symptoms are very common in Lupus.
    We go to see a Rheumy because the Drs are not well versed in autoimmune disease.....it would be good for the Rheumy rather than the Dr to further investigate this for you.
    At least then he can let you know if it is part of your disease process and if you are needing your meds to be tweaked or a few tests etc...or if it is something that needs further investigation if he considers it unrelated.

Wish you well....let us know how you get on............Claire

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

I have several neurological manifestations with facial numbness being one of them. There are things other than Lupus that could be the cause also. Your rheumy definitely needs to know but I think a good neurological workup is in order too.

The duration of the numbness varies for me. The areas involved vary also. Getting the disease under control helps lessen the degree of numbness.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

5. Felicity

Felicity Member

Do you have any tinnitus or vertigo along with the facial tingling and numbness? Are the symptoms exacerbated by talking, laughing, or anxiety? Is there any pain associated with it? There could be a wide range of differential considerations, some involving the 7th cranial nerve. Your doctor may want to order a CT angiography (CTA) of the head to rule out vascular issues. If you have already gotten your blood test results can you please update us to let us know how you are doing? Trigeminal Neuralgia is also associated with SLE. It involves parts of the 5th cranial nerve. You can find lots of good website as well as videos on youtube that describe the connection between Trigeminal Neuralgia and SLE. Good luck and please let us hear back from you. ~Felicity