Has anyone here decided to go grey before 40? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here decided to go grey before 40?

Discussion in 'Looking Good, Feeling Better' started by Katharine, May 6, 2010.

1. Katharine

Katharine Registered

:lol: I know this might be a really silly question...

I am just so so fed up of dying my hair. The problem is that grey runs in our family. I have had some degree of grey for about the last ten years (I'll be 38 at the end of this month) but it has got a lot worse in the last three - possibly plaquenil or maybe I'm just getting old.

The problem with dying is that firstly, I can't do it myself as I don't have the strength to hold my arms up and secondly, if the hairdresser does it, apart from it costing a fortune, it hurts me terribly to have to sit that long upright in a chair. Another dying problem is that once hair has no pigment left in it, colour simply doesn't hold very well and two weeks after dying some of the grey is visible again.

The problem with growing grey, aside from the fact that currently people think I'm about ten years younger than I am when they meet me, is that I have very pale skin which is summer only goes pinkish so I'm a bit worried that I'll just look washed out.

If any of you have done this (I realise I can always change my mind and dye it again) is there a good way to do it?

Thought this might give you all a laugh if nothing else :rotfl:

Katharine

2. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

:eek::eek::eek:Katharine,

:eek::eek: Going grey before 40 was just too much for me, can't bring myself to be totally grey....when I dont dye my hair I really feel like its looks grey :worried:.

I would suggest you get a friend (or husband) to apply the home dye kits. I use the 10 minute ones so the whole process gets dealt with super fast, I've also found that one brand in particular absorbs really well into my white hair!

I am very pale and when Ive left the colouring of hair far too long and have lots of grey/white shoring I really do look drained.

3. doris999

doris999 Registered

Hi,
    I just had this discussion on my other group.
    Same with me, hurts to much with the arms, and i can't decide now what colour to do my hair, having been blonde all of my dying days a couple of years ago i went black.
    This all seems to stem from my punk years, lol. and i think at 46 i'm a bit old for those such drastic colours. they are just to hard on my skin colouring now, just need something more softening.
    I like you will not pay salon prices, they are a rip off. So i am growing out my colour (it's very short anyway )and i will see how many more greys i have got since the last time i checked, if i think it is to much i will grab the dye bottle again, thats for sure, but i'm hoping i can learn to love it and not have to bother any more. My Mum always said go grey gracfully, NOT.
    Sand.

4. Lost'n'Lupus

Lost'n'Lupus Registered

Here's the flip side to question...I have had grey hair, at least to some degree since I was in my mid-20s. Grey hair runs in the family, joy of joys! :(
    I am lucky to have light brown hair and for some reason the grey actually doesn't look bad with the light brown hair. Ok so the grey is more silver/white then grey. At any rate, I dyed my hair once and it was an absolute mistake. When I was in the hospital, I ran into a girl with a head of beautiful long silver hair - she was only 16 years old. I think it's more the style and so on then the color. I figure I have earned the grey hair and frankly am rather pleased with it.

Just my two cents!
    Sue

5. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Katharine,

I had gray in my late 20's. :p
    I dye my hair and I get it done at a salon. I don't trust myself to dye it on my own. (worried I might get green hair.:p) It is about the only thing that I do for myself and it makes me feel good to get it done.

If my gray hair was pretty I think I would let it go but my gray is like an ugly mousy gray and I look really terrible with it.
    My mom has beautiful snow white hair, I wish my gray hair was her color.

Love,
    Lyn

6. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Thanks all :)

I think the problem is that society is so against grey hair, it seems a total no no for many people. My grey hair is also hereditary as my Dad was grey by the time he was 17 and my little brother has been grey (pepper and salt) since he was about 24 - of course it is accepted and distinguished on a man... I think I'm just going to see how far it goes without looking awful. As Lost in Lupus says, I think that the cut has a lot to do with it. I don't actually know any more what mine would look like if I left it :lol:

I also agree Lyn that we should do things for ourselves if they make us feel better. The trouble with this is that every hairdressers visit means about four days of anti-inflammatories and lots of pain for me so I just don't look forward to it in any way.

I think I'll just see how it goes, keep getting it cut for the moment - it's short - as it's not the time to go grey AND grow out at the same time :rotfl:

Katharine

7. Maggy

Maggy Registered

my hair has also gone very grey - and now with the medications and the fact that i have discoid leisiions on my scalp i have lost quit a lot of it and have huge bald patches - but i hve found a solution - i now have a weave in my hair - the remaining hair i have has been patted close to my scalp and then 'real hair' extensions were sown onto this.... result i have afull head of hair and can chose the colour i want - i dont have to wash it often and i had it done i january and it still looks good - i think i can cope with a visit to the hairdresser twice a year!

you need to find a good African (mine is from Ghana) hardresser as weaves are common-practice with African women!

it was the best discovery i ever made!

8. KarolH

KarolH Registered

OH LORD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My hair is so short that it takes nothing to dye it but honestly I have very little gray hair if any and I am 44 years old.
    For me I would not want gray yet if your comfortable then go for it.

9. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya Katharine... I am 46 with not a grey hair in sight, which given the stresses and strains of life I am amazed at!!! However you did remind me of my late Mother in law who told me in her youth Grey hair was the fashion and from a young age had her hair dyed grey...until she got to her 30s when she decided to let herself go back to her natural colour....which was, she discovered.. GREY... hahaha; and virtually the same shade!! XX I think you are a lovely person whatever your hair colour, the way you relate to people on here says it all. Take care,
    Claire X

10. specialk16

specialk16 The one and only

Hi Katherine, I am 33 years old and started going gray in my early 20's. Its gotten worse in the last 3-5 years, and I have just learned to live with it. Most people say it looks like my hair is highlighted... but if you get close enough to it.... they are actually white hairs. I have heard there is actually some type of autoimmune disease that causes premature graying, involving the thyroid. But, my grandmother grayed early, my mother grayed early so it was inevitable for the same thing to happen to me too. I got my first gray hair when I was 7 or 8.... I am embracing my gray,,, I say it gives me more wisdom... LOLOLOLOL

11. Katharine

Katharine Registered

It's really nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem - whatever the outcome :lol:

I'll keep you all posted on whether I go through with it or not! :bigsmile:

Katharine

12. KarolH

KarolH Registered

How bout ya just shave it all off! LOL

13. doris999

doris999 Registered

LOL, if i ever start to lose my hair then i would.

14. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hey Karol... you first, I am sure Katherine will follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Katharine

Katharine Registered

I have considered it in the past but I don't think hubby would be too happy! :rotfl:

16. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Actually I am not far from doing this.
    I am loosing hair so bad now that it would be better then bare spots.
    My hubby would probably have a heart attack yet I am one for loving a good reaction from people. LOL

17. Marshmellow

Marshmellow Registered

A wig??????? Or a few?! You could have a differnet head on everyday according to how the mood took you lol! Thankfully my hair only needs a quick trim as a long stint sitting at the hairdressers would be a hellish experience as you say Katherine

Rachel

18. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Years ago during the Lupus/dye scare which we now know is bogus my rheumy asked me not to dye my hair. I never have. Initially I didn't like the white coming in but I got used to it.

When I see my daughters dying theirs I just think of all the money I have saved over the years.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

19. specialk16

specialk16 The one and only

I would shave my head with the rest of you ladies... :)

20. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Crikey, we could get a trend going here :lol:

Thanks all for the feedback - I'm not ready to go with a wig. I get a really hot head easily so I think I'd have to shave it off if I lost that much hair!

hugs to all :hug:

Katharine