Has anyone here decided to go grey before 40? | Page 2 | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here decided to go grey before 40?

Discussion in 'Looking Good, Feeling Better' started by Katharine, May 6, 2010.

1. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hello

Now this is uncanny to me been thinking posting very same question,but since your already on same lines.
    right i started going grey at 20plus not fully grey yet and struggle big time colouring my hair but unsure if allowing self to grey no colour.
    i also sue the 10 min colours and thats due to the lupus my scalp wont take anything else.
    anyway with the ra in hands,shoulders hard to do.
    but for now i decided im gonna coloured it again was to have done it months ago but as lupus on scalp flared alot i held off.
    i guess its own choice,not eay as said culture hear dont like grey hair makes me look older than i am.
    im 38 and il be turning 39 this summer.

countrylass

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

So Katharine I hear the verdict is in......what have you decided to do? :)

3. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

I've never colored my hair. I started out a natural light blonde, fair complexion. In my late 20's I started to go gray and when I got sick with sle I got more. Over half my hair is now gray, and I just figure that I have earned every one of those little puppies! Even tho it is very fine, at least I have a lot of it.

At one point, years back, I was making my bed and wondered why my black cat was on my pillow. I too it out to shake it off and found it wasn't cat hair, but mine! I found that the higher my pred dose, the darker my hair was. When I was bringing my pred dose down, I started to lose a LOT of my dark hair. During one stay in the hospital, in this time frame, my nurse could not handle the hair, which was coming out, on my pillow and was bringing in a clean pillow case when she came in my room.

When I need a perm, or such, I go to a local beauty school. It is WAY cheaper, and the students are all supervised by instructors. It does take longer, but worth it for the money difference.
    Sally

4. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Karol,

I haven't decided either way. I think that, probably, as I have dark hair, it will age me too much but for the moment it's OK so I think I'll just wait and see what happens.

I'm sure I'll give in and colour it again as I don't really want to age ten years in one go but in some ways I'm curious to see what stage it is at now as I've been colouring it (my natural colour) for so long.

Katharine

5. Katharine

Katharine Registered

OK, so, I went to the hairdresser's yesterday and with the new cut my hair is now very grey in places and quite visible. For the moment it looks almost like highlights of grey and the hardest to get used to is it being so light in colour as I have dark hair naturally and always dyed it that colour too.

I haven't yet decided if it will stay grey, probably the next cut will really be the crunch, but, for the moment, it doesn't look too bad and I really don't want to colour it now anyway as my thyroid is doing weird things and my hair is pretty oily and needs washing every day so the colour would last even less than usual.

I'll see how people react and keep you posted. Hubby doesn't mind it at all, apart from the odd tease of course :lol:

Katharine

6. doris999

doris999 Registered

Hi Katharine,
    I have short hair and cut it myself with the clippers on a #8, i will be doing mine tonight before i go out, so this time it should take the last of the colour out and i to will see how many more greys i have, and then see if i will be colouring it again.
    Oh the joys of vanity.
    Sandra.

7. Katharine

Katharine Registered

OK all - I have to own up - I just couldn't do it. I walked around with my half head of grey hair for 5 days but I just couldn't. I couldn't quite reconcile this rather dull head of hair (brown on top and grey back and sides) with my irrepressible feeling that I'm still only twenty five mentally (Yep, I can even imagine away the 90 year old body).

So, I went out and got dye and I was so completely appalled by the whole experience that I have dyed my hair RED!!! And, everyone says it looks fabulous; I even got huge compliments from my two boys who both said that they like my new "young" look!

I failed and I intend to keep failing until I'm about 50 unless something disastrous stops me :lmao: Terrible aren't I?

Thanks all for your responses. It was an interesting experiment and I think a good subject.

Katharine

8. Anastasia

Anastasia Registered

My partner decided to go grey, after years of dyeing it, and recently I discovered a few grey hairs. I frankly cannot be bothered to worry about it currently

9. keebler

keebler Moderator

:rotfl: Katharine,

That is why I get my hair colored at a salon. If I would do it myself I probably would have orange from it all.:eek:

When I was a kid, my mom got some hair color from a friend, so she used it.
    It was the prettiest green us kids had ever seen. We told her it was pretty. For some reason she didn't agree with us.:hehe: If I remember right she redyed it and had it was a darker color than her own color. She was a blonde.

I guess that might be the reason I don't do it myself after my Mom's mistake.:lol:

Have fun with your new color.
    Love,
    Lyn

10. Marshmellow

Marshmellow Registered

hey we need a photo of this new young you!

Rachel :)

11. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hmmmm there was one, briefly posted elsewhere, you must have missed it, but I'm not posting myself on a public forum sorry :lol:

12. doris999

doris999 Registered

Well, i finally cut my hair, there is a small amount of the black left not that anyone would notice, and i don't have as many greys as i thought.
    But have found that my hair is way darker than it use to be, has anyone else found this that as you get older the colour changes, if my hair was still the mouse blonde that it was i would proberly colour it again, but looking at the natural colour it is now i may keep like this for a while, until i get bored of it, i'm going to try and grow it a bit longer as well then i might get a professtional to cut and colour it, we'll see,lol.

13. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi again,

Yes, my colour has definitely changed over the years. I used to have brown with a LOT of red in it (lots of redheads in the family) but it's new natural (if we ignore the grey) is a very dark (and rather dull) brown.

I'm still loving my unnatural red :rotfl:

Katharine

14. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

I am naturally auburn (is that ginger in denial?) but manage to convince myself on a daily basis that the greys I see are 'highlights' catching the sun! So for now, until the grey completely takes over I'll be ginger and grey in denial.

15. Lsr

Lsr Registered

I have embraced my natural color! I am now almost all white- and under 50.
    I started finding white hair at age 27. I was very white at 35.
    I dyed my hair for one year...ugh! dry scalp, too much time to keep it up, to costly.
    I love my white! I get comments once a week, often from complete strangers saying they like it, or that they wish they had the nerve to stop dying.
    Go for it. The industry makes billions, trying to tell you that you aren't good enough as you naturally are.

16. susane

susane Registered

I wish I could just let my hair go gray and it look ok. I worry though, because I am older than my husband so that doesn't help anything. I just get so tired of it all.

17. keebler

keebler Moderator

I hear ya Susane. I still dye my hair. It makes me feel better about myself.
    Dealing with lupus is hard and it is something that makes me feel good.

I had a 40 year class reunion last fall. There was a fellow classmate running around and saying that is isn't your original hail color. :rolleyes: He still had his baby look face but I didn't tell him that. :lol:

dmarie and Eileen T like this.
  18. dmarie

dmarie Registered

I love looking at people's gray hair.
    Mine isn't completely gray yet. My sister bought a shampoo for me that has a toner on it so it looks more silvery.

dmarie

19. golden wings

golden wings Junior Member

Hi katherine,
    I'm 58 and like most I only had grey on my roots.the rest of my hair was black,so for the last 8 or 9 years I colored my hair.but when I could no longer dye it or fix it,I just went to the edge of the cliff and jumped off! I had my hair done platinum and cut in a pixie.And I love it.but I understand that's not for everyone.just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in.

20. susane

susane Registered

I feel the same way about being so tired of dyeing my hair, but I am getting ready to soon turn 62 so it would be all gray. I don't look young for my age due to what all my illnesses has done to me. The hypothyroid has me looking older I think too. I have for the first time let my hair grow all one length . Not long, but just a bob style. I only did, because I thought it would be easy to just brush and not worry. My hair has always been thick and coarse, but I am sure I have lost some hair too. It still feels heavier than it should with out having it layered. I don't know what to do anymore. Even my finger nails are now breaking off, and I always loved my nail polish. I never before had a problem with my finger nails breaking off.

Susan