Hashimotos Now | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Hashimotos Now

Discussion in 'Related Conditions' started by GoldFlex, Jun 15, 2018.

1. GoldFlex

GoldFlex New Member

Hi All, I have a number of autoimmune diseases and am on a number of immunosuppressants and Txs (Imuran, Prednisone, Plaquenil, Rituxan). I've now tested positive for thyroid antibodies after my TSH was very low and my T3 elevated and T4 high normal (More hyperthyroid right now). I'm 117lbs on high dose prednisone, so it has been unique not having to worry about my weight. I understand that this will burn out my thyroid over time and it then goes hypothyroid. ANYWAY, my throat it intermittently sratchy for months now. It's annoying. It's around my trachea. If anyone has Hashimotos and experiences this, please let me know. I was thinking I was or became allergic to my Mepron (Suspension PCP drug) or a different med, but now I'm thinking it may be related to my thyroid. If you would, please let me know of your experiences. I have not begun treatment for this new stupid thing b/c my doctors are waiting for a thyroid scan. Thanks so much!

2. Tired

Tired Member

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I've been primarily hypothyroid since being diagnosed about ten years ago. There's only been once or twice when I've been hyperthyroid - during those times, I lost a lot of weight, didn't eat very much, and was very moody. I usually have a burning/searing uncomfortable kind of feeling around my throat/thyroid area when my TSH is out of its normal range. It's also uncomfortable to swallow, almost like my tonsils are suddenly too big. The skin around the tendons in my wrists and ankles also sting and become painful and tender. I sleep a lot...all the time, if I can, when I'm hypothyroid.

My thyroid has never itched, though. I would check with your doctor about your meds, just in case you are experiencing an allergic reaction to one of your meds. Btw, do you have an endocrinologist? They can be a great source of information about Hashimoto's. They can also help you tightly control your endo issues with meds.

3. Mmouse

Mmouse Member

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2005. I have always suffered from both hypo and hyper thyroid symptoms with about 12 nodules on right and left lobe. When you say itchy, are you meaning a scratchy tickly feeling throat, if so, yes this is a chronic issue. Due to a CT of the Thorax ordered by my Pulmonary doc I was recently diagnosed to have Tracheabroncomalacia, and I'm wondering if this causes the scratchiness since my ENDO doc doesn't seem to think this is related to thyroid. Perhaps, check into this for yourself it may be the cause.

GoldFlex likes this.