help..... Vegetarian recipes pls | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

help..... Vegetarian recipes pls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by granny weatherwax, Dec 29, 2009.

1. granny weatherwax

granny weatherwax Registered

My brother and his children are coming to stay for a few days. Only one problem my niece is vegi and o be honest I'm not that up on vegi cooking. If any of you have any tasty and easy recipies for the virgin vegi chef I would be grateful.

Claire xx

2. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

Why not ask them how her diet fits in with the family cooking in general, and ask what she likes. She might be quite happy with normal menus just the meat left out. I quite often just have the sauce with rice or spuds and cheese for protein, maybe an extra veg. But if she wont eat anything to do with meat her family should give an indication of what she enjoys. Veggies have preferences like anybody else. You could bust a gut thinking up things like nut loaf that need special time consuming prep that in fact she doesn't like.

Then there are M&S or other supermarket ready made and sometimes frozen veggie foods that can be popped in microwave, like the obvious macaroni cheese, vegetable lasagne, quiche ...
    I understand you want all your guests to enjoy their stay in all ways, but it is quite easy to do far more than is necessary to satisfy needs that are easily overimagined in one's great desire to please 101%.

Have a lovely visit ! :)

Clare

3. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Hi there,

There are so many great products on sale in the everyday supermarkets for veggies that are convenience foods but really tasty.

Pasta - with so many variations on sauces is great (even adding Quorn mince for spagbol), vegetables and pulse/lentil curries.
    Vegetarian hot dogs -frozen section
    Sausauges, sliced meat substitute, cheese, pate, etc, etc.

My kids love cooked pasta, covered in pasata (tomato sauce) and sprinkled with grated cheese. Also, pitta bread spread with pasata (or tomato puree, or pizza base sauce), sprinkled with grated cheese and baked in the oven....mini pitta pizzas .....for those meat eaters add chopped ham, etc.

My advice would be to ask what they normally eat and what they like for those special treat meals, then shop for those things. Perhaps your brother could bring along in a picnic cooler some of the food she will eat.

Rose Elliott is an author of veggie food books and do you remember those Crankies (they opened a Covent Garden restuarant years back), they also produced a great cookbook. Google kids vegetarian recipes

One other thing to remember is that kids can be fussy and its better to cook and stick with what they like and what is familiar and not spend hours chopping, preparing and cooking something special that they may not like, would be a big let down for you....so stay safe and cook simple easy things.

Most importantly enjoy there visit!

4. granny weatherwax

Thanks Clare. I have spoken to her she eats most things including Quorn. I have made Spag bol with TVP mince and she likes that. having not being vegi myself I sort of draw a bit of a blank. I am sure she will help me whilst she is here.

5. Lily

Lily Registered

Hi,

There are some really good recipes for Vegetable Lasagne out there........sometimes I even prefer it to the traditional ones.

love
    Lily

6. lin

lin Registered

Glad your sorted out now, knew you would, im a Vegie, its easy, i cook Quorn spag bol, then frezze some, chickpea and spinich curry, you can throw anything in.......... mushroom risotto,,,,,,,,, all dead easy to do,
    quorn cottage pie .............and as clare says i sometime have the roast and just leave the meat out, i dont like fish either...........

hope you all have ;lovely time Lin xxxxxxxxxxxx

7. pennylp

pennylp Registered

HI there,

I am going to give you one recipe that is easy and tasty....Bake a potatoe... spoon out of Jacket , mash with butter and a little cream..

STep 2, Sautee an onion, a red pepper, Add a small can of corn, a can of rinced black beans... add a little lime juice... salt and pepper to taste...

Step 3, put potato back in jacket and serve the mixture of beans and vegetables on top of potato.... you have your protein, and vegetables and dairy.... all in one spot... enjoy

Love Penny

8. granny weatherwax

um penny that sounds really nice I might have to try that one next time she is down this way xx

9. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Check out Recipe Zaar for vegi recipes. Their resources are limitless. I also agree with finding out how they deal with this at home. Most recipes can be adapted from meat to vegi.
    I enjoy frying tofu on occasion for a different texture in meals.
    Good luck with future visits.
    Sally

10. mooks

mooks Registered

I'm a veggie and I say quorn quorn quorn!! Its awesome and you can use the mince/chicken style peices to create anything you'd normally make, chilli, lasagne, spag bol, stir fry, fajitas, curry...everything its sooooo versatile! and much easier to cook with than meat...plus my meat eating friends love it all and say they cant even notice the difference with the mince....check out quorns website for some awesome recipes:D:love:

11. Ouchthathurts

Ouchthathurts Registered

Hi,
    when I was totally veggie, whenever I was invited out to dinner it was always Stuffed Peppers. I can't stand the darn things and they repeat on you for days.
    All I can say is go for the Quorn............it's fantastic. Adds texture and substance to normal everyday foods and doesn't look anything like meat to a veggie.
    Wish I could have styed veggie but have to eat fish and chicken for B vitamins and protein now. Sadly, I have been advised against Quorn as it is closely related to fugus and can make my lupus flare very quickly.
    Michelle.

12. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Another Quorn fan here...we should be sponsored!
    Two of my children are vegetarian, I don't eat much meat and actually prefer most veggie food. Quorn is great for not having to cook different meals - cottage pie, lasagne, casserole etc can be done the same way with the meat substituted and obviously the gravy but it certainly makes my life easier. I'm no Delia Smith so anything that helps, works for me...thanks to everyone else for the other tips I've found on this thread. Jess.

13. Sally88

Sally88 Guest

mooks i could not agree more!! quorn goes with everything! there are some great books out there fo rvege recipies, and theyre ususally reduced cos no one buys em! curry is my personal favourite, im always trying different stuff but always with the quorn : ) by the way mooks i have a scarily similar picture of myself - u didnt have that taken at australia zoo by any chance...? that would be the strangest coincidece...! xx

14. herbwormwood

herbwormwood Guest

Spag bol is usually very popular with veggies and non veggies alike, it would probably be a good idea as you can make enough for the whole family and your neice wont feel like she has made you go to extra bother. You can make it with the Quorn mince or the TVP you usually use. You can do spagetti traditional or use pasta shells or tubes. If you like Shepherd's Pie you can make that with Quorn orTVP veggie mince too.
    There are loads of recipes on the internet for veggie shepherd's pie or spag bol.
    There is a brand of frozen veggie mince called RealEat (try Holland and Barratt) which is particularly tasty.

15. verythankful

verythankful Registered

My stars! Everything's a wonderful possibility (as a fellow veggi, like you knows!)

If she does eggs--quick and easy--"Egg Mc Muffins":
    Pop muffin in toaster. While that's cooking, crack egg open and quickly scramble in a mug that's been lightly sprayed with spray release. "Nuke" egg for about 20 seconds, full power. While that's cooking, grab some cheese and either cut off a slice or open a pre-wrapped one. About this time the muffin and egg should be ready. Assemble as usual, pop back into microwave for about 10-15 seconds, just until cheese melts, but egg doesn't get rubbery. Offer veggie/tofu sausage and syrup as well (one sausage patty can be done in 30 seconds.)

As you know, just don't offer tofu, tofu, tofu, lol. That's what my aunt did when I was 14--to this day I'm still not a big tofu fan (which works out, now as I can't eat it anymore :) ) But there are some wonderful "meat substitutes," particularly if salt isn't a big deal (they can have tons of salt!) In the realm of TVP, it makes up pretty decent "meatballs" as well as "meat' in lasagna. Actually, so long as tomatoes and plants of the nightshade family are still possibilities, I can think of about 10 fantastic things off the top of my head, incl. Chinese peanut eggplant "noodles," Szchewan (sp) mixed veggies with fried tofu, baked potato soup, beer and cheese soup w/ sourdough bread, oh!, and fantastic veggie tempura with a sweet/sour sauce or plum sauce!

Have fun!

16. pippa10

pippa10 Registered

This is a very interesting thread my daughter is vegetarian and I am always looking for new recipes to try out. Pip