hey | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by reisha, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. reisha

    reisha Registered

    I have a question, I am a US resident, not a citizen, I am 19years old and I have never worked/paid taxes, will I be able to get SSD?
  2. sam101360

    sam101360 Registered


    As far as I know the answer is NO, SSDI is disability insurance, you need to have contributed to the system for a certain period to qualify, you must also file in a certain time from when you stopped working or you do not qualify.

    I think you may qualify for Medicaid but I am not totally sure of the requirements.

    I am not sure if you qualify for any financial aid.

    I guess I wasnt all that helpful. Sorry about that.

  3. Maia

    Maia Registered

    SSD/SSDI requires a certain work history - usually at least 3 years to be able to qualify. There are some VERY complicated calculations to determine eligibility. The work must have been done in recent years, they look at the quarters worked apparently; after age 25 the goverment will send you a notice each year about your eligibility and estimated payments for your retirement as well as disability eligibility/payments.

    For right now, SSI is possible, as well as other programs for people like food stamps, medicaid insurance & there may be others I'm not aware of....
  4. audigg1

    audigg1 Guest

  5. reisha

    reisha Registered


    Hey, Thank you guys for all your responses. Audi, the website link was especially helpful to me :) Take care all, will be back with more questions.
  6. rwb200

    rwb200 Registered

    Thought I may add something to this.
    While typical SSI may not be possible there may be other possibilities.

    Not sure where you would go for information on these propgrams but I do know that there are programs for people who have never worked and are determined that they will never be able to work because of a medical condition.

    You could call your local Social Security Office and ask about it. They may not manage the program but will know who does and how to contact them.

    You could also check your local state aid offices. They may well handle these programs and be able to tell you how to get qualified.
    Many times these offices are easier to talk to and more helpful then the Social Security Office.

    You could also check the local phone book under disability or handicapped services and check with these offices.

Share This Page