High dose of Prednisone vs. Standard | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

High dose of Prednisone vs. Standard

Discussion in 'Lupus News, Awareness and Research' started by lazylegs, Aug 24, 2010.

1. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Very interesting. Thanks :)

3. cally

cally Registered

A really interesting article, I hope a trial is done soon with positive outcomes. x

4. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

I find it interesting how treatment methods come and go. Back in the 80's and 90's, it was common practice to use "pulsing". Then, when so many young women were found to have major osteroporosis from the pulsing, it went out, so now it is back. The problem with using pulsing on young children was that so many of them had massive osteoporosis. Even a slight fall could fracture the bones as the steroids blocked absorption of calcium and weakened others. I knew a few young women who were treated with this method who fractured ribs and vertebrae just coughing. I would watch very closely and have density scans done to monitor that part of their young bodies.
    Sally

5. Shani

Shani Registered

That was really intersting.Thank you for sharing it with us.:)

6. oesa

oesa Lisa_S

Very interesting. I was on low-dose prednisone for 18 months when I was first diagnosed, (~1986). My disease was uncontrolled the entire time, and I also had all the nasty side effects - weight gain, hair growth, AVN and osteoporosis. (I would get rib fractures from coughing or sneezing, and also had compression fractures in my spine) I eventually developed nephritis and was referred to a pediatric nephrologist who prescribed high dose prednisone and Imuran (which was considered experimental for kids at that point) and it was only then that I saw significant improvements.

So when I flare, I'm a fan of initially "clobbering" things until they settle down - interesting that there is actually some science behind that!