high wbc and high anion gap, swollen hands/feet | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

high wbc and high anion gap, swollen hands/feet

Discussion in 'Tech and test' started by Goosie, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Goosie

Goosie New Member

Hi,

I’m having a lupus flare accompanied by painfully swollen eyes, swollen hands and feet and acidic urine. Blood work I had 2 weeks ago shows high white blood count (11.7) and high anion gap (18). All other blood values were normal. Today I asked my doctor’s assistant whether the above values could relate to a change in kidney function (since I know there’s a lupus uptick and 4 yrs ago my kidney function had begun to dip by 10%.). The assistant believes the high anion gap could be a lab error and referred me to see a rheumatologist (in my area, rheumatologist are booking 4 months out.). I have the ability to independently see a nephrologist, but I don’t know enough about lupus and high anion gap to make the decision, yet I don’t want to wait months if something’s going on.

Suggestions, please?

Thank you

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Welcome to the forum Goosie.

Is the doctor office booking the appointment? Maybe they can get you in earlier? Or put you on a cancellation list.
    You don't have a current rhumey? Do you have an appointment made?

I looked it up and found this.
    https://medlineplus.gov/labtests/aniongapbloodtest.html

Take care,
    Lyn