hydroxychloroquine shortage for lupus patients | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

hydroxychloroquine shortage for lupus patients

Discussion in 'Medications' started by DC63, Mar 23, 2020.

1. DC63

DC63 Member

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Recently I went through a shortage on another medication. The first time I needed to reorder my pharmacy found another pharmacy for me but it cost more since it was not in my plan. The second time around we had to get approval for the brand drug not the generic. It has been approved for a year. In the event you find yourself in the same situation you might ask for the brand name option.

Check with your doctor's office also. When I had to quit Plaquenil I had to do it cold turkey. Fortunately I did not have any problems but it was not the only medication I was taking for the disease. Your doctor may want to taper you off in conjunction with starting a new medication if the shortage hits your area.

Take care,
    Lazylegs