ibs | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

ibs

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by steven gregory, Jul 20, 2017.

1. steven gregory

steven gregory New Member

not been on here for a while, just wondered if anyone suffers with ibs was diagnosed with lupus 10 years ago in last couple of years been getting bouts of ibs which last about a week been diagnosed with mebverine which I take when bouts occur just wondered if anyone has similar conditions any help would be much appreciated ,thanks in advance.

Lupusdude likes this.
  2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Steven,
    I know we have members that suffer with ibs.
    Hopefully someone will come along with some good advice.
    I do know ibs is a miserable condition. You never know when it is going to start up.
    Sorry Im not much help.
    Lyn

Lupusdude likes this.
  3. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi Steven, I've been diagnosed with ibs also. Have had lupus for many years. Anyway, at first I researched all over the web for help and found many sites and apps that would list low Fodmap foods. These are the foods that have less or that don't have the carbohydrates that cause ibs. To make a long story short, those lists helped, but I really needed to go deeper. Eventually I found a book by Patsy Catsos and her recommendations have helped tremendously! I recommend you look her up and give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you need any more info or support, I'm here for you!

4. Jackie Jubilee

Jackie Jubilee New Member

I have ibs as well. I have stopped eating meat and cut down on my caffeine. I was on nexium for years but it stopped working and then my dr put me on dexilant, still working well for me. I also take probiotics. The only time I will have a flare up is if I dont eat all day and then when I finally throw something in my mouth my stomach goes nuts on me, which is totally my fault so serves me well =p

Lupusdude likes this.
  5. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi Jackie, it's a very tricky condition. In the book Catsos brings up the fact that your body needs a 3 hour break between meals, but if I go longer than that, like at work, I tend to overdo when I get home. I think I'm going to try taking snacks to work.

6. Jackie Jubilee

Right now I am on a bolus of steroids so I am constantly eating and my stomach is on full on "I hate you" mode! I think the steroids are causing lots of my digestion issues right now. Its a no win kind of situation. although I am trying to at well and staye as healthy as possible, I have to take medications that cause my ibs to act up. You are absolutely right, its so tricky! some days I can eat a certain thing and be totally fine and the next I will eat the same thing and my stomach bloats up and begins to cramp along with many more colorful symptoms =/ I know you know exactly what Im talking about.........

7. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Yes, I understand completely! If you can, check out her book, The IBS Elimination Diet and Cookbook. At least you can read the first chapter and find out if it will help. One of the things I've learned is that it takes about three days for your body to recover after eating some high FODMAPS. When I started reading the book and decided to give it a try, I had to put a bunch of food in the freezer. It's not a strict diet type diet, but you just need to watch certain foods. I found a good tracker to record food and that works for me. Anyway, it's not easy, but the benefit was worth the extra effort to me.

Jackie Jubilee likes this.
  8. Jackie Jubilee

Will def look into that book, thank you!