intitlements | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by alexbelfast, May 14, 2009.

  1. alexbelfast

    alexbelfast Registered

    has anyone else out been throught this
    i have been told by some one in benefits office that if i get my dr to give me a signing off line and say that i am fit for work then i should go to the dole office and sign onto job seekers and then after 13 weeks they will pay the intrest on my morgage
    any one else in the same sitution as me i cant work or cant work much due to being tired and sore and all the other stuff lupus brings with it and i am a driving instructor so i can only work
    1 when i have students
    2 when i am well enough
    so if i take on students and then after a few weeks i have a bad day or bad week or so then i cant keep them as they want to learn and i am not well enought to take them out or i might be well enought for 3 months to work
    in a pickle as to what to do i need to work when i can as the sickness benefit i get which amoints to about 190 a fortnight well does not stretch very far
    is there any other benefit i would be intitled to i have been awarded d.l.a i get lower rate so in total i get about 600 a month to live on and our morgage is 500 when i asked about anyother help i was told i could get nothing
    any advice
  2. bugsy

    bugsy Registered

    Hi Alex :wavey:

    I can not help you out with the particular questions you are asking but i can give you a few names of places that should be able to help you out and give you advise.

    You could first of all try DWP (Department of Work and Pensions)
    CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau)
    Dial UK.

    I hope one of these will be able to help you out with the questions you have regarding what you are entitled to.

    Good luck :luck: Take care :hug: Jo :hug:
  3. KarolH

    KarolH Registered

    If you lived where I live in the arm pit of the world I could help you.:lol::lol:

    However you live in paradise so I am not sure how the system works there.

    Check out the places that bugsy told you and let us know how you get along.;)
  4. Katharine

    Katharine Registered

    Hi there :)

    Again, I don't live where you do but I would want to look into this very carefully before making any decisions.

    The way it works here is if you are signed on for "unemployment" you are therefore "fit" to work and would lose any DLA or benefits you might have. Unemployment here also only lasts for a certain time - you have an obligation to apply for and be interviewed for jobs (even if they are wholly impractical to where you live or your situation) and/or follow training. If you don't do all of the above (which I certainly couldn't) you then lose your unemployment benefit altogether and along with it lose all rights other than the very basic minimum.

    My job was the same as yours - I used to do in-company training, teaching English and communication skills in English. As I am self employed that means taking on three or four months of work for each group of students I accept. Obviously, it became totally impossible and for the last couple of years I either haven't worked at all or have done a very small amount of translation (which at least can be done from home). The problem with translation (and teaching) is that it requires a rapid brain that can make the connection between the two languages - some days it's hard enough speaking coherently in one.


Share This Page