Itching? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Itching?

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by susane, Mar 27, 2017.

1. susane

susane Registered

Hello Every one. I have been having increased itching all over my body. Is this common with lupus? No matter what cream I use it doesn't help much. It's driving me crazy.

thanks,
    susane

2. debatat

debatat Moderator

It depends what is causing the itching, if you have dry skin or a rash. An antihistamine can help sometimes with the itching. If I have been in the sun, I get more itching as I come up in a rash.

3. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

Yes i get that. Used to get it all over, now problem is more controlled i dont get it as much.

I occasionally get it under arms near lymph nodes.

Kind regards
    Mark

4. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

I have suffered with severe itching for some years (so hard to describe but it actually feels like my blood is itchy, it's worse than a crawling sensation on my skin) and have been told all the usual things about not thinking about it etc which makes me mad. The only thing I got it down to was when my sleep had been particularly bad and my Dermatologist spoke of this causing my nerves to become over sensitive. Whatever the cause, I spent so long scratching my skin until it bruised or bled, having tried seemingly everything. I came across a cream called Eurax and this has been my best discovery, it has worked a treat for me. Of course, I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone and you should always make sure you've had it checked with your doctor first to rule out anything else.

5. Bane

Bane Member

My itches comes after some hours......its one the most difficult things to tolerate

6. Gijuan

Gijuan Registered

Plaquenil aka Hydroxychloroquine makes me itch...an intense deep itch.

7. s_warrior89

s_warrior89 New Member

Itching always comes for me during flare up my doctor always tells me that the steroid cream should help but guess what it doesn't the itching gets so bad that it's almost unbearable and definitely indescribable .. I use an over the counter non drowsy antihistamine it calms the itch really well and sometimes even completely stops it for the rest of the day... hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Mmouse

Mmouse Member

I was told that itching is a precursor to pain from the PA that works with my Rheumatologist. Makes sense because I do notice a correlation. Anybody else notice this?

Mmouse

9. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

I've been experiencing severe itching - it feels as though the itching is in my veins.. the lupus agrees it is my veins - don't know what the name for this is but thought I would share. Nothing I've used has worked.

10. Mmouse

Mmouse Member

The itching makes me feel self conscious because it appears as if you have bugs or something. When I try to explain it to others they just can't relate. Although lately, my mom who has rheumatoid arthritis, also experiences the itching which helps to have someone in the family that can identify with some of the issues that I experience. To date I have found nothing that helps. I would like to try the suggestion by Jessica 1.

11. susane

susane Registered

I also feel like the itching is in my veins. The itching will daily get so bad that I scratch until I have broke through the skin and it's bleeding.

Susane

12. Kathryn Roberts

Kathryn Roberts New Member

Try lavender essential oils. I'm not a nut about these things but lavender dottera has been a real life saver for me!

13. littlelupie

littlelupie Registered

It is funny that I was going to post about my itching today. I get this horrible itching and it feels like something is crawling under my skin with it. If it is just a small area coconut oil seems to work. Not sure if it is just the rubbing action putting the oil on helps soothes the itching or the oil it self. But days like today it was all over and I can't get it to stop. I have been told by my old rheumatologist the is it Fibromyalgia. I have since change doctors and will ask her in a few weeks when I see her. But if you have any ideas how to get it under control please let me know. This flare is kicking my butt.

14. Mmouse

Mmouse Member

Not to be repetitive but, I was told by the PA that works with my Rheumatologist that itching is a precursor to pain and I agree. Whenever I have a really bad flare I almost itch my skin off. I have itched to the point of blood , but it seems to be all over my body and it is intense and embarrassing because when I itch like that at work my co-workers stare a hole in me. I have taken Benadryl with some relief but then I suffer from sleepiness along with the already serious fatigue. This is a no win situation. I will try the essential oil and see if that helps. I have used peppermint oil for migraines and will get a measure of relief. If anyone has any other suggestions please do share. I come here for helpful advice and encouragement and try to offer the same to others. Have a great night all!