It's my turn...wish me luck! | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

It's my turn...wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Tom, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Hi all, :wavey:

After almost 3 years to the day, I FINALLY have a hearing date! It's a month away and I'm already getting nervous about it. Talk about stress, it feels like my future hinges on this one day. I have never been good with interviews either. :(

I get to look at what my lawyer has put together a couple of weeks before the hearing. Anything special I should make sure is in my file? I'm sure I will forget 90% of what I plan to say when it starts, maybe that will help. :rolleyes:

I know some of you have been through this ordeal, do you have any secret tips for me? :wink2: Like should I quit showers and shaving until then? :hehe:

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

I don't have words of wisdom.:wink2:

Just wanted to tell you good luck:luck: :luck: and send lots of :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Take a deep breath and try to relax.

:goodvibes:

Lyn

3. mamascan

mamascan Guest

(((((Tom))))),
    As I just went through it myself, I do know the anxiety you are talking about, it is dreadful. The most helpful thing when you have that appt. with your attorney prior to your hearing-Make Certain All Your Doctors have their most RECENT eval, test results, etc. in your file . That is what the appointment is for after all. I had to wait after my hearing until my attorney collected "1 updated evaluation" (it just happened to be my psychologist). And that is the one that got me approved. But of course it was continued for an additional 90 days until I got an answer. Yep, that's stress! So just make certain that all your ducks are all lined up, and should be just fine.

Hugs & Best Wishes,

Michelle

4. Joandublin

Joandublin Registered

No useful info here Tom but just wanted to send you zillions of positive vibes for a good outcome. You sure deserve it after so long

(((((((((Tom)))))))))

:luck::luck: :luck: :luck:

Luv n stuff
    Joan

5. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

I have been praying for you to get approved every single night since we first dicussed it. I have no doubt you will get it.

Just be painfully honest. Lay it all out there, even the small stuff. Yiu'll get a clue as to what the judge is looking for as you talk.

6. tlb33

tlb33 Registered

i pray that you get approved and the judge wants to hear how your daily life is effected by your dieseas how it changed your life for the worse look him or her dead square in the eyes and tell him your hurts, pains and wishes on what you wish you could still do like work if you where not seriously ill.

7. raggedyann1

raggedyann1 Registered

Tom,

I am so glad you finally have your hearing. The point about recent medical records is really good advice. Ask your doctors office personally and request to hand carry it to your lawyer. That way you can make a set for yourself and you will be sure nothing is mislaid. Your heart trouble is some thing to focus on I would think. The judge won't understand fatigue but certainly explain that. If you are on a lot of medications you might want to carry them in a bag to the hearing. The visual of all those medicine bottles has to help. If not then at least have copies of all your recent refills on your prescriptions. That adds validity to a list of medications.

I will be praying for you.

Take care,
    Karen

8. acard

acard Registered

Tom,
    I don't have any advice as I sit waiting for my hearing. I just wanted you to know I am cheering:cheer2: for you. I will put you in my prayers. Tom~this is yours! You deserve it, you have worked for it and now you NEED this.

Hugs,
    Becca

9. Raglet

Raglet Registered

GOOD LUCK TOM !!!!!!

I am sure you will sock it to that judge (firguratively hahaha) and get the result you want and need.

Sending lots of positive wishes out on the airwaves

raglet

10. cath

cath Registered

Good Luck Tom,

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I really hope the hearing goes in your favour:dog:

X C X

11. Lily

Lily Registered

Good luck Tom :luck: :luck: :luck:

No great words of wisdom here either, except make sure you have everything, absolutely everything lined up about how this affects you day to day. I think thats what got me through, it was what I couldnt do that they focused on.

love
    Lily

12. neongirl

neongirl Registered

Tom,
    I hope you get approved quickly, and without much more stress. I know of a couple of people who got disability (not for Lupus), based on psychological evaluations, not the illnesses that made them disabled. I think what Karen said about having your pill bottles or prescription reciepts handy would help a lot.

13. Zoi

Zoi Registered

Good luck Tom!!!!

Sending you :goodvibes: :goodvibes: positive thoughts for your hearing!!

I hope it goes wonderfuly!!!

Zoi

14. :pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust:

Tom,

Sending you alot of pixie dust in hopes that it helps you get approved. As for the shaving and showering......................I don't recommend it. Your wife might disown you.

Nancy

15. Pickles

Pickles Registered

Hi Tom,

I've not made your acquaintance but I did want to wish you the best of luck. I've been there, I mean about waiting for the disability. I didn't get a hearing, I got a decision before the hearing. I can't even think of
    what its called now and I used to tell people about it here. Its where
    the lawyers make up their mind before the hearing. Anyway, I hope you
    don't have any last minute problems and you have a great lawyer who
    is ready to go to bat for you. You've got some great suggestions here
    so try not to worry, I know its hard but hopefully you'll get it. I know its
    a long hard road, lots of us have been there. It took me 3 years to get it
    too. That shouldn't happen, but all the lawyers and social security want
    to make sure you're not faking it. :eek: I would tell them how tired you get. To me, it is like sleeping for 24 hours and still getting up tired, like all
    your strength has been drained from you.

Good Luck, let us know. We'll be hoping and praying for you.

16. raggedyann1

raggedyann1 Registered

Pickles,

I think you are referring to the term OTR On the Record decision? The lawyer can request it from the judge.

Karen

17. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Thank you all for your replies and support. :grhug:

I'm taking you all with me in spirit so they better watch out! :wink2: Since I havn't been able to afford seeing a doctor except for major problems, all my records should all be there. I am going to take a good look through all the records my lawyer has received and bring some he doesn't have. I have been working on a list of everything I deal with to give them a total picture, it's also a reminder list for me. :)

Karen, I was hoping for an OTR approval, but I guess seeing the person and hearing the struggles they go through on a daily basis is stronger than paper. Since I've been denied twice on paper, it looks like this is going to be the way to go in my case. I guess with a month to go, the judge still has time to approve it before the hearing. That would really be something! I would definately get a lotto ticket that day. :hehe:

I will keep you all posted as things progress. It could still take months to get through the process, but that's what we have to go through. :rolleyes:

18. macfamily53

macfamily53 Registered

Oh wow tom i am so happy for you and understand being nervous to but you will do fine im sure of that one.You have been through so much stress these days thats for sure which has to be effecting your thinking ablility :sad: unfortunatley.I never had a hearing so im not sure what advice but like everyone says to make sure you have all your doctors visit imformation and your meds for sure and i am sure your lawyer is a good one and you will be fine for sure.I most certainly wish you lots of luck and ((((((((((((hugs)to help you through everything. I hope the next month goes real fast for you also.Try not to stress yourself out over it if thats possible.

Tammy:)

19. ALWIN

ALWIN Guest

Sending you the best Good Luck in the world Tom

20. jude mack

jude mack Guest

The best of luck to you Tom.

Hugs Jude:)