It's my turn...wish me luck! | Page 7 | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

It's my turn...wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Tom, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Lily

Lily Registered

(((((((((((((Tom)))))))))))))))) :( :( :mad: :mad: :hissy: :hissy:

HUGE HUGS TO YOU MY FRIEND!

love
    Lily

2. acard

acard Registered

Tom,
    I am so very sorry for what you are going through:mad: I totally understand!!!!!!

Love,
    Becca

3. lefty3369

lefty3369 Guest

I have been on disability since June of 2006 due to 4 heart attacks, had stents placed twice and triple bypass surgery. I was later diagnosed with a thyroid problem, Lupus, Sjogrens Disease, Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation, Pulmonary Hypertension, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Type II Diabetes in addition to previously having high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am now being told by my employer that come June I voluntarily terminate my employment. I am not voluntarily terminating, I am still disabled. I would then be offered cobra for 18 - 29 months and would then have no insurance. I am however, eligible to continue to receive disability payments which are 1/2 of my salary. That makes it difficult to go out and purchase insurance on my own with all the medication I need to take let alone who will cover me with pre-existing conditions? My disability has been cut off twice and is currently in the appeal process. It isn't bad enough that someone has to suffer with all kinds of illness but then have to fight with insurance companies on top of it. I feel this is so unfair and don't know what to do. I have also applied for Social Security Disability and have been denied that three as well. I just had my hearing on April 16th. How many more illnesses and problems does a person have to go through to get approved?

4. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Thanks everyone! :hug:

I'm just waiting for my psych doctors final documentation and then I will be off to the lawyers to file another appeal. It will probably take more than 5 weeks for the appeal, so the new SSA revisions will be in place. I also wrote my Senator again so I believe everything I can do is done now, well everything that won't cost a ton of extra money. :rolleyes:

Thanks for hanging in there with me! :) The saga continues.......

5. Joandublin

Joandublin Registered

Dear Tom

I was stunned to see you had been turned down again :mad: Fair play for picking yourself up and getting back into the battle. When you do finally get it (and I know you will) we need to have the mother of all celebratory parties in the chat room. :)

Many hugs Tom. Hope you are managing to keep as well as you can given the circumstances.

Luv n stuff
    Joan:rose:

6. Tom

Tom Old Timer

This will probably be my last entry about this for a while unless something unexpected happens.

Turns out my last appeal was the final decision for SSD, no review case closed. This appeal I'm filing now goes to the federal level and they decide whether or not to tell SSD to re open and review my case again. My lawyer told me to open a new claim while I was waiting because this is going to take a while, around 8 months. That's to give me a head start for the next try I guess. :rolleyes: At least you won't have to hear anymore bad news about this for a while. :lol:

So for the record, my case has gone like this:

Filed Claim - Denied (Automatic)
    Appeal - Denied (Automatic)
    2nd Appeal - Denied (Automatic)
    3 year wait for hearing - Hitler Judge takes another 5-1/2 months to deny case
    Appeal - Refused / Case closed (Total time 3 years 9 months)
    Appeal to Federal court - Pending

Maybe it's time to write Oprah :hehe:

7. Jirel

Jirel Registered

Maybe it's time to write Oprah :hehe:

Tom, I think that's a good idea. Maybe she can make them get off their behinds.

8. Jenkay

Jenkay Jen

Just for the record I did write Oprah a while back asking her to do a show on Lupus Awareness as so many people have no idea what lupus is or how it can impact your life.

As of yet I have not heard a response but maybe if we all sent letters something might happen. All you have to do is go to her website and sent her a note. I think a show on overall awareness would be great!

Jen

9. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Tom,

I am brand new here but I wanted to say that maybe writing to Oprah is not such a bad idea.

Also, try to get your local congressman involved, scream to your news paper, call your local free holders........................it does help.

I am sorry this has been such a night mare for you.

It really is not fair but one good thing is if you do get approved you get one big fat lump some of money retro back to when you filed.

You will be able to do so much with that money.

Gentle hugs and big thoughts to you.

10. Joandublin

Joandublin Registered

Hi everyone

Before this 'Oprah' thing takes legs... Im afraid you wont get much out of contacting her. Some time ago she allowed a "mystic healer" on her show who said that lupus was caused by unresolved conflicts and has refused all pleas to do a show about the realities of lupus since.

I wouldnt waste my time on it.

Cheers
    Joan

11. acard

acard Registered

Tom-
    I am sorry that you have been treated like this!!:mad:

Joan-
    I am flabbergasted about Oprah-I thought she was a smart woman.:(
    After what she has gone through just getting dx'd with her hypothyroid you would think she would think twice about a mystic healer!!!!

I asked Ellen Degeneress to do a show on Lupus Awareness and never heard a peep out of her either. Oh well:sad:

HUgs,
    Becca

12. pukekos

pukekos Registered

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear your news:(
    BIG HUGS

Lisa

13. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

ssa revision?

When you say "new ssa revision" is that about lupus or something else?

14. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Lily posted the info for SSA's Revised Medical Criteria for Evaluating Immune System Disorders.

Here is the link to her thread: https://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70104

Here is the link to the info: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20081800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-5023.pdf

Here is the summary on the first page:

I would advise making a fresh pot of coffee before you dig into the details. :hehe:

15. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

Thank you! I missed this thread. Thanks!

16. Pickles

Pickles Registered

HI Tom,

Sorry I haven't been on here in such a long time but I wanted to tell you what happened in Atlanta. In today's paper, it said 3 people who have
    been waiting for years to get disability have just got approved. A reporter did an article on them and how long the wait for disability was in Atlanta. I think it helped that they got written up in the paper.

SOooooo, I thought you might could call up a reporter and see if he wants to do an article on you and how long you've been waiting and see if that stirs things up for you.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for your approval. I'll have to find the link for the article. I'm afraid if I search for another webpage, it will log me off of this one. I'll let you know.

17. Pickles

Pickles Registered

18. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Thanks for the info Pickles. :)

It must have been a very busy day for them because I was approved today as well. :bigsmile:

I'm still numb and can't believe it really, 4 years and 2 weeks later. I think mentally I gave up because the stress was killing me. This approval was on my second claim so I still won't have medicare until 2010. My first claim is still in process and if that one does get approved one day, my medical should start the day that one is approved (Some of the back pay would be really appreciated as well). I'm not complaining too much, I will get a check starting next month.

Thank you everyone for your support, it has helped me a great deal to get through this. I will post what happens with my first claim when I find out. Should hear something around the holidays I was told. Right now it's time to celebrate a good day, it's been a very long time coming.

19. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Three Cheers Tom! This is just fantastic news. Glad it finally came through for you.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

20. Joandublin

Joandublin Registered

Absolutely fantastic news Tom! :excited::eleph::trampo::stretch::woohoo::woohoo:

Im thrilled to bits for you! Well done!

Luv n stuff
    Joan:rose: