It's my turn...wish me luck! | Page 8 | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

It's my turn...wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Tom, Jul 11, 2007.

1. cath

cath Registered

Excellent Tom!!!:eleph::excited::cheer2::dancing:

Good for you for sticking at it and not giving up.

I hope this makes things a bit easier for you both, but still-2010 til you get health care cover:eek::(:eek:

X C X

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

CONGRATULATIONS TOM!!!

Well deserved.....................now don't spend the retro check all in one day!:wink2:

3. mamascan

mamascan Guest

Tom,
    Sticktuitiveness has paid off once again! Congrats to you my friend. Yes it does take time for Medicare to kick in. I was approved as of June 2006 (I think) and will be eligible for medicare in December 2008. But at least it will help once it does kick in.

Congrats!
    Michelle

4. Maia

Maia Registered

Way to go! **big sigh of relief** And that one is from me, I can imagine how you must be feeling right now.

I think you definitely need to celebrate this somehow.

5. cad

cad Registered

HI Tom,
    I truy cannot believe the ordea you have had to go through regarding your application for disabilty.
    But a big congratulations that they have finally done what they shoud have done a long time ago and given it to you!!

Perhaps now you have more time to focus on your health instead of of being consumed with battling against beurocratic nonsense.
    Good on you for sticking with it!

:spin: :yahoo: :dancing: :wiggle:​

Good Luck

Take Care

Cassie :)

6. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

Praise the Lord, Tom! I have sent up so many prayers for you to get it that I can't count them. I'm so glad for you!

7. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

Dear Tom

I am thrilled to bits for you. I hope it will boost your morale and make life that much easier. Now we need to hope and pray that your luck has turned and your other plans will soon go ahead too

All the best to you and your wife.

Many Hugs

Clare

8. macfamily53

macfamily53 Registered

Hi Tom

I am absolutely so excited for you and i know you are to:).It has been such a very stressful time for you and your family(((((hugs))))))).It is definately time to party :lol:.I sure hope this does help your pain somewhat from the stress.Is reu hope you get a lot of back pay as you so deserve it.Take some time to rst now that things have calmed down(((hugs))).

Tammy

9. keebler

keebler Moderator

Congrats Tom!
    I am very happy for you and your wife. I bet the two of you will remain on cloud 9 for a long time.:cloud9: What a relief it must be for you. :)
    :cheer2:
    Lyn

10. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Wow, thank you everyone! :grhug:

I havn't really been too excited about this until I read all your replies. :hehe: Guess I want to see my first check before I really believe it. Retro pay is only 2 months but better than nothing for sure! At least I can breathe again and not have to pinch so many pennies for a while. Now I just have to wait for medical to kick in and I'll be able to get some much needed tests done to see where I'm at.

11. sunflowergirl2

sunflowergirl2 Registered

Tom, I seriously don't understand why it's taking so long for you! (Maybe you should move to IL., or maybe I was lucky). Be honest, make a list of how lupus has impaired your life. That seems to be the important thing. Good luck! Keep us posted as to what's going on! Cathy

12. Pickles

Pickles Registered

HI Tom,

CONGRATS!!!! You said "retro pay" is only 2 months... Is that the same as "back pay?" Surely, after as long as you have waited you will get 4 years of backpay. I know it was hard and aggravating but the backpay sorta makes up for the long wait. We lost our house but at least I have something coming in every month from disability. I also told them I was in dire need so they did speed up the checks some.

Congrats again and I'm so glad they finally approved you. I wish they wouldn't make us jump thru so many hoops when we are so tired and sick to begin with.

13. Zoi

Zoi Registered

Wooohoooo!!!!! :excited::cheer2:

Congratulations Tom!!!!!!!! What brilliant news!!!! (Finally!!!) :yahoo:

I'm so happy for you!!!!! :bigsmile:

Zoi

14. Okie

Okie Registered

Finally!!!

Hi Tom
    I never doubted that you would get approved and finally they got their act together! They gave you the positive answer that you so rightfully deserve!
    It was long overdue!
    Isn't it great that you can finally relax and focus on enjoying family and other important things in your life without added stress and strain that only makes lupus much worse!
    Yeah!!!! I'm so glad to hear the good news!!!:)
    Best Regards
    Okie

15. Jenkay

Jenkay Jen

Lovely news! Congratulations. I was so happy to see the approval post (haven't been on in a while).

So was the approval made on a brand new filing with SSD with new doc info? Just curious as I'm working on a hearing after my first denial (no appeal in NY just straight to hearing and very nerve racking).

I just can't explain how glad I was to see this news and it helps provide encouragement to the rest of us muddling our way through the SSD process. Thanks for all your posts.

Jen

16. dudley

dudley Registered

Tom

Congrats.........Finally. Have not been on boards...computer is sick but getting better.

I am so happy for you. Now the count down to medicare.

Remember to keep all documents. SSD should be able to tell you in which order you were approved. For me it was SLE, Sjorgens and depression. They also might twll you if they anticapte you getting better in one year. (yeah the lupu fairy will wave her majic wond). Make sure to keep all doc appt's and scripts filled. They will probably do a one year intensive review.

I wish you had gotten more back pay but I did not fight it. I just took the approval and thanked my lucky stars.

Again Congrats

Elaine

17. Lily

Lily Registered

:woohoo: :excited:

Hi Tom :bigsmile:

Lucky Elaine brought this thread back up, I missed it because you were approved the day I went on holidays for 3 weeks.

I'm so relieved and excited for you, it's about B time they approved your application :hehe:

love and hugs to you and your wife. I think we need a BBQ to celebrate! I'll bring the lobster and prawns :wink2:

love
    Lily

18. Tom

Tom Old Timer

:oops: Sorry for taking so long to reply!

Ok, here is the catch-up. I was approved on my 2nd claim on the first try. In the mean time my first claim is still waiting a Federal review hearing. My attorney advised me to file the 2nd claim so I would have a head start in case the first one failed (The final review was months away).

It was a shock getting the approval so fast on the 2nd one (No denials) so I feel there is still hope for the first one. They did backdate my 2nd claim to Jan which gives me 2 months of back pay but my medicare doesn't start until 2010 (Two year waiting period). If my first claim gets approved, then I will get medicare right away and have a very nice back pay check coming. I should hear something by the holidays either way. I hope that wasn't too confusing. :hehe: To top it off I should see my first check w/back pay next month (Oct) because they run a month behind. :lol:

My approval letter said 3-5 year reviews Elaine. It didn't say in which order I was approved though. :(

That's what you get for taking 3 weeks off Lily! :p I hope you had a great time! BBQ lobster and prawns, you sure know my weak spot. ;) I'll bring the drinks and the chocolate. :bigsmile:

And the saga still continues, but the light is getting much brighter now. :)

19. Tom,

I missed when you initially posted that you finally received your disability, so this is a late but very elated CONGRATS!!

I certainly hope that you and yours can now take a very relaxed vacation and can now relax and enjoy your lives.

Nancy

20. Tom

Tom Old Timer

Hi All, :wavey:

Almost 11 months since my last update and after 5 years in the disability process and taking my claim up to the 5th and final level, I was granted a fully favorable decision dating back to my original application date! :jump:

I know age plays a big part, and getting the proof I needed to prove my claim took time. It's hard to get what is required when you have little income for tests and doctors visits. :shrug: Even though this process has taken a very long time, I feel my faith has been restored in this system and that it will ultimately do the right thing in the end.

I'm glad this thread ends showing that the process does work. Keep giving them everything you can to help the process along, even if it's a little at a time. If one appeal is denied, find out what else is needed and continue on.

Now my medical card is in the mail, my back pay is being worked out, and the long wait has ended on a very happy note. Today has been a very good day. :)