Just a Question for fun | Page 2 | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Question for fun

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Karly1964, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Karly1964

Karly1964 Guest

Boy, I am ready to take up Tai Chi again, I took it as a college course straight from an exchange professor from China, believe it or not I was his translater of sorts, even though I speak no Chinese and he very little English, but I loved that class and helping him while I learned. I'd love some baked goods, whoever can make them, I am a flop at anything that doesn't come in a mix, I would love to try pottery and taking photos of the ocean sounds lovely. Now I have some wonderful ideas for dreams tonight, maybe I can actually sleep.:p Karly:yes: :thumbs: :more:

2. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

How funny - my hubby suggested doing 'Calendar Girls' a while ago as a joke.

As long as I can be August, I'll pose any way you want me. ;) Might need a couple of big jugs :rotfl:

3. acard

acard Registered

I would stay right here in Southern California-but my house would be bigger and have Alwin's garden.

Can I have vacation homes? If yes, then San Remo Italy, Ireland, Thailand and the Grand Caymens:) :) :) :) :)

Best of all worlds:lol:

4. Soundy

Soundy Registered

Well I live on a farm out in no where with deer and turkey in the
    yard and the occasional coyote serenade at night...

Would have to stay out in the sticks... lived in Los Angeles and
    Baltimore and that ruined any city live for me ... like people from
    a distance ... that doesn't sound right... guess would be better I
    like people a few at a time not all clumped together

Used to want to live in a giant hollow tree or a cave :) ... then
    also the Yorkshire of James Harriot... never got crushed like my
    friends did on movie/TV stars or recording artists... No ...I was in
    love with James Harriot of the books...always loved the rock
    walls divided the land tumbling over hills

There are alot of remnants of low stone walls from Civil War era ...
    I have collected the flat limestone from pieces doomed to become
    landfill in hopes of walling in a little garden... it is about as close to
    the pictures of that Yorkshire as I will get...

5. Taree

Taree Guest

Hi Karly. It occured to me at 3am... is your Grandma still with us? Didn't mean to be insensitive if she isn't. Hope you had restful sleep!:)

6. Karly1964

Karly1964 Guest

:) Yes, thankfully grandma is still going at 90 years old, it's just that her house is so far out in the country and she has a little bit of dementia and short term memory loss, she forgets to drink enough and eat and her sodium drops and her brain swells, pretty serious it had happened three times,:worried: so now she lives in a very nice assisted living place, right now she has a private sort of mini apartment,;) and if the need occurs she can move to a more dependent wing and if necessary eventualy to the nursing home wing. It is taking her some time to get used to it, as she has been in her home, which she and my grandpa built with their own hands, for nearly fifty years. :p The home is actually about four miles if that away from her home. I've taken friends there who have helped around the place (her house)and they have commented that it is like a whole different world there, it is in a valley, surrounded by woods, and Killbuck creek. It is so beautiful. The only time I really spend out in the sun is to mow her yard, cover myself with sunscreen and hat, and mow in the morning when there is a lot of shade or in the evening, also cooler and less buggy then. She actually has 28 acres,:eek: but about three or four to mow....goes pretty fast with the tractor. Not sure how much more I will be doing that because Mom has a realitor coming to look at the property. I will miss it so much, so many memories, so much fun, so many animal moments.:sad: Karly

7. Karly1964

Karly1964 Guest

Still trying to break the no sleep record!:( Karly

8. Taree

Taree Guest

Wow! 90yrs!

Karly, that is so incredible! She sounds like a very strong, terrific lady! So sad to let go of the place though, luckily the memories will be forever. :)

ps can imagine zipping around in the tractor must be loads of fun!!!!

9. Karly1964

Karly1964 Guest

Soundy Oh, how I love James Herriot and his books, and here in the US we also get his show on Public Television, My brother in law and neices also love him and the show and stories......my mom marvels as to how we can understand the accents of the characters, to me it is quite easy, I have been good at linguistics etc. Not necessarily speaking a different language, but accents. I was so sorry to hear of his passing several years back, I will always miss the way he wrote about the land, farms, cities, and the animals of course. Take Care, Karly

10. Karly1964

Karly1964 Guest

Oh yeah Grandma is one tough woman, small about 5 foot 3, and determined to keep all the available old men in the home away from her, even the harmless ones. Although she always did say the furnace repairman, age 23-26 or so, was hitting on her and had a crush on her.:hehe: Karly

11. :rotfl: I'm still laughing over a few of the comments in this thread (catching up on everything around here, as I've been out of town for the past week)...Taree's bowling-ball-for-small-people scones, for example :lol: ...and I too am indignant that chocolate vines dont grow chocolate - maybe they do though in Alwin's special garden? *is hopeful* :hehe:

I'd like to come eat some of Clare's pasteries, maybe I could take care of the animals (sounds like at least several people will be bringing horses along, and some dogs too) and be paid in pasteries :bigsmile:

Really though Alwin that description came alive so much to me reading that, I could totally picture you (well, not knowing what you look like, but a person as you) out there working in the garden, with the little cafe in the front and everyone busy and happy all around... :)

As for my dream house...if it weren't part of Alwin's...I used to dream about that soo much when I was little, drew out little floorplans and everything :rolleyes:, one of the best I remember was centered around a circular courtyard that was open-air but screened-in on the top making a huge aviary, where I kept all sorts of domestic birds, and then outside the house was surrounded by woods too...and there was a little cottage in the woods, away from the main house...I've also wanted to live in a tree at some points too, either in a hollowed-out tree (what was that book where the kid lived in a hollow tree??) or in a treehouse...treehouses are pretty awesome too...yeah basically I dont know where I'd want to live :lol: but lots of cool options :)

sf

p. s. awesome thread karly, this brightened my lousy evening so much, thanks! :)

12. Soundy

Soundy Registered

Karly ... I was not a normal girl with crushes on the movie star
    or singer of the day... I was in love with James Herriot...

Now married to a farmer and on the farm many things I learned in
    his books have come in usefull...what was his real name... Alfie Witte?
    or something ...I read part of his biography his son wrote...

13. Soundy

Soundy Registered

We used to get the PBS show locally but it isn't carried anymore ...