Just saying hi | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Just saying hi

Discussion in 'Personal Stories' started by Lupusdude, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hope this finds you all doing well and keeping busy. Haven’t been on in a while and had a hard time finding how to post without hijacking another thread. I’m doing well and it’s been nice to read that most of you are healthy and stable. The social distancing hasn’t had any affect on me as I’ve always been socially distant. It takes the reminder message to get me on here to say hello. My health is good although my weight has dropped again. Seems to be a minor issue as I’m still as strong as an ox and can carry out my regular chores. Wifey has to go in for second back surgery, but we’re feeling positive that this one will do the trick. Trying to stay positive. Thanks for the sharing and the support. Peace!

wolf1 likes this.
  2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Good to hear from you!
    Glad you are doing good. Hugs to your wife for the upcoming surgery.
    I hear you on the social distancing although I missed my grandkids.
    Take care,
    Lyn

wolf1 and Lupusdude like this.
  3. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Thanks Lyn,
    It must be tough with grandkids. I don’t have any, but I feel your sadness and hope you’re at least getting some virtual visits and phone calls. Stay safe and keep well my friend!
    Joe

wolf1 likes this.
  4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Joe. Glad to hear you are holding your own during all this. Hopefully everything goes well during your wife's surgery. Docs say a positive attitude go a long way in healing.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

wolf1 and Lupusdude like this.
  5. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Thank you Lazylegs for the kind words and good wishes. Will keep you all posted.
    Love and peace to you my friend,
    Joe

6. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

All the best to your wife with her surgery....it's good to read that you're doing so well, may it continue! Take care,
    Jess

7. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

Hope you and your wife is doing ok
    Keep safe
    Wolf1

8. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi all! Thank you Wolf and Jess for the good wishes. Today was another challenging day for my wife. The surgery is done, but the wound has been draining too much. This second surgery increased the incision to 26 cm. and the drainage has the surgeon worried. He said if it keeps up or if she gets a fever to bring her back in for yet another surgery. This has been very difficult for her to deal with as she has not made much progress in this recuperation. He said it is not spinal fluid, but is part of how the wound heals. It should have stopped draining by now. As for me, I’m thoroughly exhausted! I don’t know how much longer my body can run on this limited amount of sleep. I take one day at a time, but the days start to run into each other when I try to finish the evening chores and I’m up way too late.
    Our dog, Buddy, has dilated cardiomyopathy and is now on four different medications to help his heart. He probably doesn’t have much longer with us and the dog is very protective of wifey. You can imagine the stress. Well, I can. So the medication reminder works for all three of us. We all take our medications when the alarm sounds. Hopefully I keep a clear head and pass out the correct ones to each of us. So many little pill bottles! Take care and stay well. Peace! Joe

9. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Joe,

You have your hands full. Take a look at the chores you do and try to tackle only the essentials right now. Getting rest whether it is sleep or not is more important for you.

I know what you mean about the medications. Thank goodness they have our names on them. It makes them much easier when I sort them after the pharmacy pick up.

Let your wife know I am hoping her recovery takes a turn for the better. My thoughts will be with you both.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

Lupusdude likes this.
  10. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Goodness me, Joe, you've so much going on! Burning the candle at both ends is one thing but when you've got Lupus to manage it's something else without everything else you're dealing with.

I'm thinking of you all and hoping for better times for you all. Take lots of care and as Lazylegs said, grab rest when you can. Most jobs will still be waiting for you another day so don't even look at them!

Lupusdude likes this.
  11. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Thank you both for the suggestions. I am taking them to heart. I try to grab a few z’s when she lays down for a nap. I’ve read that a 20 minute nap can do wonders for you...in reality, I’m just as tired and really dragging after that short of a nap, but I guess it’s better than nothing. The wound looked ok when I changed the dressing so no need to reopen it. We’ll go in on Wednesday for another check up. I hope there’s no infection. I’m not a trained nurse and when I change the dressing, I’m really grasping at straws. It takes my awhile to get it all bandaged and taped right. Wifey is trying to stand still and is practically crying in pain when I finish. And I really don’t know what I’m looking for to diagnose an infection. The doctor said not to add any antibiotic cream, so I just dress it up and hope for the best.
    Buddy seems stable. I’ll take him in tomorrow for a check up. I’ve been trying to squeeze in a short walk with him before it gets to0 hot in the morning and before wifey wakes up. I know he needs some exercise, but he is at risk for a heart attack and I don’t want to push him. He sleeps sounder now with the medication and that worries me too. His heart could stop anytime and I try to count his breaths per minute to monitor that. Wondering each morning if he will stir when I walk by him.
    As far as the chores, I must be following your advice because I’m staring down at dirty dishes and I know there is laundry piled up in the laundry room. I just needed a breather and thought I’d fill you guys in. Thanks so much for the support! Joe

Jessica1 likes this.
  12. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

That's quite a level of responsibility on you to look after your wife's wound. I take it you don't have community nurses like we do here? Silly question as I'm sure you wouldn't be doing it yourself if you did.

All the best for Wednesday and hugs to you all. Take care.

13. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

Please rest when you need to or you will be no good to anyone. Hope all goes well with everything.
    Keep safe
    Wolf1

14. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

I commend you for caring for your wife yourself. Some spouses can't handle it and if another family member won't take over the loved one has to go to a care center for continuing treatment. I hope the appointment went well.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

15. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Joe I hope things are going better for you and your wife.
    Have you thought of using pill boxes? It is so much easier use. I double check myself when taking them.
    Poor Buddy I hope he is doing good too.
    My hat goes off to you. I don't think I could change bandages. I would end up gagging and almost throwing up. Yep I am a wimp.
    Take care,
    Lyn