Long Term Disability Insurance | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Term Disability Insurance

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by suebehar, Aug 28, 2009.

1. suebehar

suebehar Registered

I've been receiving long term disability benefits from Cigna for the last two years. In fact, they assisted me with obtaining my Social Security benefits. At the end of July they sent me a letter stating they were cancelling my benefits. They said I could do light work and therefore would not pay my benefits. This has forced me to look for an attorney who will support my appeal. Does anyone know what the typical fee agreement would be? An attorney who would like to take on my case is requesting 50% of any owed amount that is won. Plus all expenses would come out of my share of the award, and then they would continue to collect 50% of my payment for two years after. There will be no charge if I lose the appeal and litigation.

The fee amounts seem excessive to me, but maybe the fees being quoted are routine for a long term insurance disability case.

Anyone who has gone through this or has any information regarding this, please help.

Thank you!

2. ceenic123

ceenic123 Registered

That amount seems high. Usually the lawyer gets 40% of your award money and none of your future money. Is you lose, usually nothing. I don't know if the rates have gone up since a few years ago, but this is what I have dealt with. I used Binder and Binder. If they are in your area, I would call them for a quote. They are Nationwide in the U.S. I hope you find a good lawyer with less fees. Good Luck with this situation.:)

3. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I am not much help here but someone, can't remember who, did mention something about a company called Allsup or Ulsup??? (spelling??)

I think they help folks at a much cheaper rate and are attorneys too. Let us know how you get along and good luck.:wink2:

4. Maia

Maia Registered

Allsup helps with obtaining SSD benefits... I would check out other lawyers in your area. If SS is giving you benefits (i.e. deemed you unfit for any job...) then your LTD company should not be rescinding your benefits as it is typically a more lenient definition of disabled to qualify for LTD privately.

Good luck...

5. Jenkay

Jenkay Jen

Hi there,

I just started my two year review with Cigna and hope it is approved as there is no way I could work. But i totally agree with Maia, if you got SSD you should get long term, I thought that was a given as the SSD is the hardest to get. I'm still waiting on my SSD hearing.

If you don't mind me asking what type of work did you do before and what did they think you could do now. Don't you have to be able to make 80% of your covered earnings in a job that is education appropriate or something like that. What exactly does that mean anyway? Thought since you've been through it you might be able to offer insight. In any case if mine didn't get approved I'd have to fight it, I'd have no other option.

Wishing you success with all this.

Jen