Looking for suggestions for herbal supplements anti-stress/inflammatory | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for suggestions for herbal supplements anti-stress/inflammatory

Discussion in 'Medications' started by Alkemyst, May 17, 2019.

1. Alkemyst

Alkemyst New Member

I have a friend that suffers Lupus and is under a lot of stress and deals with inflammation. I take quite a bit for stress myself but it appears many things are contradictory to someone with Lupus.

Anyone know good recommendations?

I take Ashwangandha, Valarian Root, L-Thenine, Kava Kava, Passionflower, Lemon Balm, Celery Seed, 5-HTP, Magnesium, Gluc/Chondrotin/MSM, Zinc, and a bunch of other general health vitamins. I am feeling really well now and have an extremely high level of stress in my life (my adrenals were showing it to be severe on bloodwork and doctors were worried).

I would like to recommend that first group and / or these anti-inflammatory and general health ones:

The ones with asterisks seem to show up on a lot of Lupus related sites. My friend is a woman if it matters.

Calcium 1000mg (great for women in general, good for heart function)

Vitamin E 1000IU (attacks free radicals that lead to inflammation)

Vitamin D3 2000-5000IU (helps absorption of Calcium and other vitamins, strengths immune system, add in one with K2 included)

Selenium 50mcg (creates glutathione, a master antioxidant; helps the body from attacking itself. Supplement with Liposomal Glutathione directly 500mg is an expensive option. )

Zinc 15mcg (T-Cell production and helps skin/rashes)

Folic Acid (decreases homocysteine in blood, avoid with methotrexate though)

*Tumeric/Curcumin 700mg x 2 (inflammation)

*Black Cohosh (estrogen balance, inflammation of joints and pain)

*Feverfew (inhibits COX-2 which causes inflammation of joints)

St Johns Wort (joint pain and discomfort, elevates mood)

White Willow (pain in joints)

*Devils Claw (prevents inflammation)

*Rosemary (increases blood flow which reduces inflammation by reducing toxins, also reduces pain)

Meadowsweet (like aspirin)

Astragalus (controls when immune system is out of control, avoid on immunosuppressants)

Tripterygium Wilforgii Hook F (COX-2 inhibitor, which relieves symptoms, lessens medicine need and normalizes blood, can stop periods though)

Holy Basil (Tulsi) - (stress relief)

Yucca (steroidal polyphenolics, inflammation)

Pycnogenol

Licorice Root (purifies blood and liver, pain and inflammation, avoid if high blood pressure)

South African pennywort (S. Africian only)

Ginger (anti-inflammatory and antioxidants)

Probiotics

Apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon to glass of warm water + juice of 1/2 lemon 2-3x a day 20 mins prior to meals - detoxifies and helps nutrient absorption)

Epsom Salt baths (1 cup salts soak 15-20mins)

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Some members have seen some benefits from alternative forms of treatment and others have not. Before jumping in I would discuss your interest with your doctor before trying something first as it may be contradictory to the medications you are taking.

keebler and Lupusdude like this.
  3. Alkemyst

Alkemyst New Member

Her doctor is not familiar with this, just can tell her what not to take more or less. Sadly my own doctors know little about holistic and natural approaches.

4. GuyGuy

GuyGuy New Member

If you are taking plaquenil there is an alternate supplement that has been successful, it is called Artemisinin. There has been research using this natural supplement and based on the findings it seems works. Of course Doctors are not familiar with it and big pharma would not like it. Does not have all the side effects of plaquenil.
    Another thing that has helped me tremendously with my discoid lupus are proteolytic (systemic) enzymes. My face was a mess. After just four days of taking them my rash was gone. I take them daily and I have not had any flairs in over five years. The one I like is called Zymactive Double Strength by Natural Factors. It is just an enzyme and does not appear to interfere with any other meds. Has to be taken on an empty stomach to get the full benefit. I have a very sensitive stomach and these have no effect. Depending on the severity of ones lupus a higher dosage may be needed until things level out.
    The medical doctors were killing me with plaquenil and steroids. When I was told there was no other treatment I got discouraged and started to look alternately. Glad I did. I now only take the Zymactive (for the lupus) and have had no recurrences. I also take several other herbal supplements as well but the Zymactive turned the corner for me.
    Best of health to you.

5. Alkemyst

Alkemyst New Member

Thanks GuyGuy, One of the effects she is not liking due to the steroids is weight in her mid section. I am not sure the total details yet as we are still getting to know each other more and more, but I feel I can help as I am good at doing this kind of research and sadly as you have found most doctors really don't know what is available esp. stuff outside of BIG PHARMA. I will look into the above you recommended.

6. GuyGuy

GuyGuy New Member

I did not have the weight issue, however, the steroids were making my sugar go up and the plaquenil had the potential of ruining my eyes. Had to have my eyes checked every 6 months. That is why I went on a search to see if there was something else, especially when the doctors told me there was nothing else available. I went to a young chiropractor in our area who has systemic lupus and she treated herself and was doing quite well. She had some tests done on me and they came back stating that my proteolytic (system) enzymes were way out of order. I followed her advice and that is why I suggest them to others.
    If you do some research on them you will find they help with a variety of things. I personally do not let a day go by without taking them. I don't want to go back to where I was before.

7. Alkemyst

Alkemyst New Member

Are you taking the artemisinin and zymactive or just the zymactive?

8. GuyGuy

GuyGuy New Member

I took the artemisinin for a while but then quit. I found the enzymes were doing the job. However, it might be good to take both and then taper off to the enzymes. No need to take more if it is not needed. If any flairs come back you will know you need the artemisinin. The flairs for me were more in the summer months. The first summer after taking this regimen I thought I was getting a little flair, but didn't. I took both as a precaution for a few months and then back to only the enzymes. I think it takes a while to get into the system completely. I kept a journal on what and how much I was taking so I could follow the results. This way I could tell what dosage was working and was it a seasonal thing. No problems with the sun now. But it has been over five years for me.

9. AmericaDarth

AmericaDarth New Member

You can have certain benefits from alternative medications.

10. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

And you can have problems with alternative medicine as well.

11. Musa

Musa New Member

Ginger root, and avoiding dairy, has done wonders for me. Ginger root can be overwhelming on its own. A little honey may make it tolerable.