Losing my perscription plan, Need advice | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing my perscription plan, Need advice

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by ROSJAC, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ROSJAC

ROSJAC Registered

On Good Friday, I received a letter from the company my husband retired from stating that as of the end of June, i am no longer eligible to be on their script. plan or supplemental plan. The contract my husband retired under, says 5 years or age 65 which ever comes first. Therefore, I still have 3 years to go to be 65. They are offering me a COBRA plan,but very expensive. I have been on Medicare Disability since 2006. I am trying to navigate my way thru the Medicare Part D script plan and this donut hole, which I am sure to hit. I take CellCept, and the generic brand is 1000.oo a month, not to mention Plaq. Nexium and several other expensive drugs. Any advice on people or agencies I could contact for help would be appreciated.
    I know many of you are in my position, It is difficult enough to be ill, let alone dealing with the stress of not having affordable meds. Thanks, Rosie

2. dmarie

dmarie Registered

Hi,

I am very sorry that you are going through this.

I had a situation a few years ago where I had limited insurance coverage. At that time i found out that a lot of drug companies offer help to those who can prove that they have no insurance coverage. I did not qualify because I did have some coverage.
    If you go the the manufacturers web site they usually have information about this.

Good luck!

dmarie

3. dudley

dudley Registered

Hi,

So sorry you are going through this. First I would see if your state has any type of prescription plans available for people on SSD. I would also look in to what dmarie suggested. Also, I would tell your doctors of your predicament. See if they have samples or coupons....It is suprizing what they have.

I would also look at independant insurance companies that pay a portionto all of what medicare does not pick up depending on the plan you use. I would figure out your estimated drug cost and see what makes sense financially.

I would also read the fine print on your husbands policy to make sure there is not any little clause stating that you must use the cobra or you have to wiat a certain amount of time for pre existing drugs.

Good luck

Elaine

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Rosie,

When my husband retired we went to Cobra until we could get other arrangements sorted out. I could only stay on it for 8 months or I would have penalty fees once I did apply for the medicare plans. The Social Security office gave us a number of a company that would help us find the best plan for me but we found the medicare website to be enough. The cost can really vary so be sure to enter in all the medications you use into their program. It is really important to compare the prices during the donut hole period. That is when we noticed the largest variance in price, as much as $2,000 a year. Good luck.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

5. ROSJAC

ROSJAC Registered

Hi, Thanks for all your suggestions. I can stay on the Cobra plan until I am 65, then my husbands plan for me will kick in again! The COBRA plan is 700.00 a month, but I would have the same secondary insurance and Script. plan. That's alot of money and if you are 1 day late with your payment, they cancel your plan. My husband thinks it would be worth it , just to have peace of mind, not knowing what the future holds for me as far as even more expensive meds. I truly feel like I am between a rock and a hard place!
    Lazy legs, do you take any expensive meds.? I know the donut hole can be up to 4500.00 out of pocket. This has just become over whelming for me. I never dreamed I would have to deal with private insurance again, at this stage of my life. My heart goes out to all those that lack decent health care coverage.
    Thanks again, Rosie

6. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Rosie,

I get Rituxan infusions along with being on Cell Cept. My first infusion since starting the medicare is awaiting approval. Supposedly they pay 80% and the prescription plan should pay the other 20. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will actually work out this way. I will be in the donut hole fairly quickly and will move to catastrophic before the year is out. Not looking forward to shelling out that much money, but have no choice if I want to continue with my present med cocktail.

Good luck working with Cobra. We found they are slow to pass on your payment information so don't panic if your doctor's office calls and says you are not covered. Usually a call clears things up but it is a hassle just the same.

Take care,
    Lazylegs