Lupus and premature labour? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Lupus and premature labour?

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by mooks, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mooks

mooks Registered

Hey guys hope everyone is ok, well I have made it to 23 weeks so far but on Tuesday night I started having weird pains from like my tail bone and up inside my lower tummy. I woke up on Wednesday still getting these pains and also felt so sick so in the afternoon I went to see my obstetrician and they examined me and said they were contractions but my cervix was still long and closed so that's good. However they said they are either painful braxton hicks and will stop or it could develop into preterm labour but there's no way to know. All they said I can do is rest up at home. They aren't coming regularly so I think it's ok and my baby girl is moving around and kicking loads as normal. They said if I went into preterm labour after 24 weeks they could do something but before that they can't ( I'm currently 23 + 2!) has anyone got any experience of this kind of thing?

Much love your old friend Michele xxxxxx

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

I don't have any experience of it Michele but wanted to send nice warm hugs :grouphug2:

I'll keep fingers crossed that it's just Braxton Hicks :fingers:

Katharine

3. doris999

doris999 Registered

Hi Mooks,
    Lets hope it is Braxton hicks, the most important thing you can do is REST, REST, REST.
    Hugs and take care,
    Sandra.

4. cad

cad Registered

Hi Mooks,
    I have had experince with pre term labour, but not at the time directly associated with lupus. I had high leves of protein in my urine 3+++ and had hig blood pressure, so was dignosed with pre eclampsia at 24 +3 I went into sudden pre term labour at 26+4 and had my daughter then. I can t lie as it was a very scary experince but not cause of my own health its is all those instincts to protect your child and alos I had no warning and then had doctrs running everywhere like headless chikens, But as I said I had very severe pre eclamsia which ended up with a life threatening placental abrubtion.
    My daughter was born early and did spend 3 mths in hospital but did extremely welll, has no after effects of this and is now a thriving 7 yr old. It is just an emotionally and physically difficult time to deal with. I have also had early contractions in my other pregnanacies and then gone on to carry them until 36 weeks.
    What I would say is try to rest as much as you can and also keep a calm state of mind, so try to distract yourself with things that dont make you end up worrying about the baby, like get stuck into a good book or do some online shopping, things that you can do jusy sitting and resting, also try not to get into the headspace of this is definately going to happen, which is tough I know but doesn't help you to relax.

The other thing is, is that if early delivery is a high possibilty, steroid injections are given to help mature the babies lungs before delivery, I did ohave this done at 26 weeks, there are also drugs that can be given to stop contractions and pre term labour, so if these have not been discussed, it is likely that the docs don t think that there is an iminent possibility if this happening. I really empathise, I have had 5 kids and had issues in all my pregnancies, its not nice but all you can really do and the best thing to do for you and babe is to take the best possible care of yourself that you can and try not to stress. I would say that to watch ut for any alternative therapies as you moght knowe taht some if these can cause contacting of the uterus and prem labour.

I really wish you all the best and hope that everything goes well, but remember just becaus ethis is happening now it does not mean that you are definately going to deliver early, sometimes quite strong and painful contractions can happen as the uterus stretches especially at your stage pf pregancy.

Take good care and I wish you all the very best, I hope things go really well for you.

Cassie. :)

5. mooks

mooks Registered

Aww thanks so much for your messages, and cassie thanks tons for yours all that info is really helpful and reassuring. They Did discuss drugs to stop labour for 48 hours and steroid injection for babys lungs but they said they will not do it before 24 weeks as there isn't much point. It is so good to hear about your daughter being born so so early and coming through it! Hopefully everything will be fine, it stops and then I feel relieved but then it starts again really painful :-( I am
    just not gonna move off the sofa!!!

6. michelledub

michelledub Registered

hi mooks
    hope your feeling ok
    your liitle girl will be fine if shes half the fighter her mum is
    she'll do ok in this world.

anyway rest, keep the feet up and let everyone spoil you.

xxx
    michelle

7. Maia

Maia Registered

Did they hook you up to the monitor to measure the contractions? When I was 28 weeks along they started routinely doing those non-stress tests and found contractions that appeared big --- big enough they wanted to check me as they could not tell if they were real or braxton hicks. I knew they were braxton hicks though since I was feeling a tightening and not pain. Some women do have Braxton hicks contractions that are painful enough that it's hard to know that is what they are... so I'm hoping they are Braxton hicks in your case and then I'll hope that they stop being so painful for you soon!

I'm thinking of you and praying all will turn out well for you and your baby. Take care and keep us posted!

8. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

I just wanted to let you know that I had very similar contractions when I was 21 weeks pregnant. I was in the hospital for a day but because my cervix was staying closed they sent me home and told me to rest and drink so much water that I could float away. I went on to deliver my daughter at 37 weeks. Please keep us posted and I will keep you and your little one in my thoughts and prayers. I know how scary it can be.

9. debatat

debatat Moderator

Mook, sending you ((( hugs ))), thinking of you!

10. mooks

mooks Registered

hey guys, so a little update...things have calmed down thank god!! so all good :) however had my first doppler ultrasound yesterday where they check the placental blood flow and it turns out i have a notch in the doppler reading on one vessel. basically there are 2 vessels that go from me to placenta and they need to be able to the expand as baby grows and needs more blood and nurtrients. but mine on one side isnt formed properly so it wont expand. however the dr said its really bad if its both sides but as its just one then the other one might compensate for it. but it also might not...so if it doesnt she might stop growing and then they will have to whip her out quick. bit scary but apparently this is common in lupus and thats why i was given that type of scan in the first place. xxxxx :love:

11. doris999

doris999 Registered

Hi Mooks,
    You are in good hands by the sounds of it, and they will keep a close eye on things with you and the baby.
    Are they doing the scans on a regular basis now?
    Still lots of rest,
    Hugs Hun,
    Sandra.

12. mooks

mooks Registered

yes i am having my next scan on 16th august and have to really keep an eye on her movements if she slows down at all im to go straight in..im also on low dose aspirin and i must take it religiously! :love:

13. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

I'm so glad that you sound like you are in such good hands with your doctors. I've been thinking about you and glad to hear that things are going OK. Keep us updated.

14. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hello Mooks genlte hugs aww baby doing fine and you got past the scare at 23 weeks bless il pray it all goes wonderfully to full term or close as,scans ohh right so do special ones thats good.
    your in good hands,thinking of you and baby so exciting see this progessing well for you.
    lv Countrylass

15. mooks

mooks Registered

25 weeks today!! All going well xxx

16. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hi Mooks aww wow 25 weks time is lfying i remember when you posted to say pregnant.good to see and be able share in your exp l
    Countrylass

17. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Glad to hear things are going well :dancing:

Take care,
    Lazylegs

18. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Great to hear that you're still doing well. Your story will be an inspiration to many I'm sure :hug:

Katharine

19. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

:eleph: YAY! I'm all excited for you Mooks!

Take care, Nellie

20. keebler

keebler Moderator

:micbounce: Glad everything is going great for you and your little one.
    Love,
    Lyn