Lupus and sunlight | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Lupus and sunlight

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by Shevonee, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Shevonee

Shevonee New Member

Sunlight is my important trigger, but I don't know how to deal with it. Though I apply sunscreen when going out, skin rash on my face sometimes occurs and triggers fatigue, fever and joint pain later. Does anyone have right ways to deal with this trigger? Please share with me. I greatly appricate your kindness.

2. Janetrano

Janetrano New Member

Do you usually go out in the afternoon or at other times?

Shevonee likes this.
  3. susane

susane Registered

It really huts me too. I use the sunscreen, but have to admit I need to make it a habit. I forget sometimes and I get a headache and the face rash, and then hurt all over. I do try to notice the times of day as mentioned. There is a certain time of so many hours during the day that are worse on us to be out then. We can't of course always avoid that when needing to go for appointments etc. but it gives us an idea. I wish I could be of more help.

Shevonee likes this.
  4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Sunscreen alone isn't enough for me. I need to wear a broad brim hat, long sleeves and long pants if I am going to be out between 10 and 5.

sagehen likes this.
  5. Shevonee

Shevonee New Member

Because of my work, I sometimes go out in the afternoon. But sunsreen doesn't help me much

6. Shevonee

Shevonee New Member

Is your protection helpful? I mean that sunscreen, broad brim hat and long sleeves help you avoid lupus flares triggered by sunlight

7. Janetrano

Janetrano New Member

As lazylegs said above, only sunscreen may be not enough, you should add other protection like broad brim hat, long sleeves or long pants. Also, it's important to avoid going out in the afternoon because the UV rays work strongly from 11 a.m to 3 p.m. Not only do UV rays trigger your lupus flares, but they also damage skin tissues, causing skin cancer. Besides, you should focus on your lifestyle to boost your immune system that help fight against other triggers. Since I've changed my lifestye, eaten nutrient diets and taken supplement (Lupufree and vitammin D3), my overal health gets better. As long as you avoid lupus triggers and control flare ups, you'll be more happy

sagehen likes this.
  8. Shevonee

Shevonee New Member

Many thanks for your useful tips. My important trigger is sunlight, I'll trying to keep it at bay but it's uneasy. Maybe I ask my boss for changing my schedule a little to not going out in the afternoon.

sagehen likes this.
  9. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Whether the protection helps or not can depend on how long I am out and the surface I am on. Water, cement and sand reflect the rays upward so I can't always get 100% protection.

10. susane

susane Registered

I went to a Dermatologist and he gave me some samples of cream with sunscreen to use that he thinks is the best. It's called Cerave' He said if I am just going to be out in the sun long enough to get in a car and that is it. To use the one with 30 protection, but if more then the one with 50. He also said to wear long sleeves etc. What is the supplement Lupufree?
    susane

11. keebler

keebler Moderator

It is just another vitamin saying it helps people with lupus. If that is true we all would be on it.

sagehen likes this.
  12. Janetrano

Janetrano New Member

it's a dietary supplement for lupus that help me to deal with some lupua symptoms

13. Daisy5

Daisy5 New Member

I wear a hat everywhere i go. Including sunscreen in the house, cover up when out. I have read 2 hrs in a box store is comparable to 1hr in the sun. Changed the CFL lite bulbs in home to LED and they really made me sick so changed to old fashioned lite bulbs and doing ok. I keep the blinds closed at home. I bought hat, jacket from a company on line and they have a person that will assist in finding clothing for our sun protection needs. Pricy but worth it.

sagehen likes this.
  14. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Here I get sunsense SPF 50 on prescription..fab stuff and not had a skin flare since