Lupus awareness colour? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Lupus awareness colour?

Discussion in 'Lupus News, Awareness and Research' started by Shani, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Shani

Shani Registered

Hi everyone, I was wondering what the colour for Lupus awareness is?I was guessing purple but then it seems orange is too?
    A little bit confusing as I would like to put a ribbon on my Msn display picture.So I would like to know.Thanks!

2. jetster

jetster Registered Users

google searches show purple and orange as an alternate...so maybe both! But it would seem purple is primary...

3. Shani

Shani Registered

Thanks for your response Jet!I'm guessing I'll go with purple then.Orange is nice too although.

4. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi,

I've never heard of the orange but definitely purple. I think though that it is a shared colour with things like fibromyalgia (??).

Katharine

5. Shani

Shani Registered

Thanks Katharine, and yes it's for things as Fibro, Sjögren and Crohn I think,...

6. pippa10

pippa10 Registered

I think there is a world lupus awareness day, not sure when though. Pip

7. dizzyV

dizzyV Val

I think orange may be for Auto-immune diseases in general. Like Silver/Gray are for MS, I think Purple for Lupus.
    But I've seen the bracelets in orange for both...

8. Shani

Shani Registered

Thanks Pippa.

And Val, yes that's what got me a bit confused.I've seen orange around a few times.But as Jet said purple miight be the original-primary colour.

9. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

The first color chosen for lupus awareness was orange, but it was NOT popular with the public. So, purple was introduced over 5 years ago and it has stuck.
    Lupus awareness day is May 1. Lupus awareness month is October which is why most "lupus walks" are held in October.
    Hopefully this clears up the confusion.
    Sally

10. Shani

Shani Registered

Thanks Sally, made it clear up now.=]

11. Katharine

Katharine Registered

World lupus day is May 10th and the lupus awareness month is October :)

Katharine

12. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

This is my understanding: May is Lupus Awareness Month in the USA. It's October in the UK. I don't know about other countries. May 10 is World Lupus Day everywhere.
    Purple is the most usual lupus awareness colour in the USA and is the colour used by the LFA; it's the only one in the UK.
    Orange is the colour adopted by several USA based Lupus Awareness and Support groups that are independent of the LFA, such as the SLE Foundation of NYC (LupusNY.org), LupusLA.org and the Lupus Resarch Institute.

:)
    Clare

13. Shani

Shani Registered

Oo, that makes sense.Thanks Clare and Katharine.=]