Maltroxate | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Maltroxate

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by Cas, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Cas

Cas Registered

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone heard of Maltraxone? I believe it is only available on private prescription in this country and has been successful in treating CFS/ME/FM etc. I have googled but come up with nothing except adverts for alcohol detox.
    Thanks
    Carol.

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Cas,

I tried looking it up too. I didn't find anything either.
    Are you sure that is how it is spelled?

When I searched for it I this name appeared for me, Naltrexone.

Sorry I couldn't be of help to you. Hopefully someone will come along and tell us both about it.

Take care,
    Lyn

3. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

Yes it is Naltrexone. There's been a huge campaign about the endless curative virtues of this substance with a Petition to the UK Parliament and all that, with people who seem to know nothing about lupus getting very impassioned for some strange reason. I have no idea what to make of it all except I rather distrust any claimed cure alls that lumps lupus along with every other disease known to man.
    But who knows ? DHEA clearly to my mind has a role to play in treating lupus at some level most likely only adjunctive, but it can't be sold OTC in the UK or Europe and is available only on private prescription or, somehow and rarely, through a consultant. The FDA hasn't approved it though. Still it is recommended sometimes in the USA as steroid sparing, for energy and general well being as an important supplement when there's a deficiency as apparently there quite often is in lupus.

I wouldn't try the Naltrexone because I like to know about whatever I take medicinally, both the good and the bad, & have some convincing evidence from trials and studies and to take it with a doctor's consent/approval & under medical supervision. Of course, to make yourself a real guinea pig you would have to stop all your meds, not something I am prepared to do. If some bloke comes up to me on the street and urgently advises me to take whatever, would I do it ?

People say all sorts of very weird things have made them "feel better", but we can't know exactly what this means and even less often is there any follow through or convincing medical proof.
    As far as we know they might have become seriously ill.

Take care

Cheers
    Clare

4. Cas

Cas Registered

Hi Clare and Lyn,
    Thanks for the replies and sorry I didn't respond for a while - problems with the internet.
    I was told about Naltrexone by a friend who has ME. She hasn't used it but it was suggested by her consultant. She mentioned it to me as she knows I suffer from extreme fatigue. I had never heard of it before and as I too am sceptical when it comes to 'miracle cures' I was interested to hear if anyone else knew of it. I was concerned when my friend said that the drug was only available on private prescription from a clinic in Scotland but her consultant could arrange this for her. It sounds as bad as ordering drugs from overseas on the internet. How do we know it is safe? Clare, do you know if it is used as a substitute for drug/alcohol dependency? If it is I assume it has been properly tested for such use.
    It doesn't sound suitable for Lupus patients but as you say some people may claim it has helped. I wouldn't be prepared to stop my medication either - far too risky.
    Oh well, guess I'll carry on living with it and just be grateful I'm as fortunate as I am.
    Take care
    Cas

5. Kyphi

Kyphi Registered