Medicare or Insurance? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Medicare or Insurance?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by sunflowergirl2, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sunflowergirl2

sunflowergirl2 Registered

I recently was notified that I'm eligible for Medicare in July. I have very good insurance thru my husband. Can I have both? Was told that if I turn down Medicare at this time, it is a forever thing. (Won't be able to get it in the future.) Not sure what to do. Any advice? Thanks, Cathy

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Hi Cathy,

I sure can give you advice. I have both, Medicare and my husbands insurance so yes you are allowed to carry both. If your husband works for a big company then Medicare will be your secondary insurance and your hubbys plan is your primary.

If your hubbys company is small then Medicare would be primary for you.

Now, if your hubby has a really good plan and the benefits are awesome then you may not want to buy the Medicare. I think I pay $95 a month for mine, something like that.

Does this make sense? I hope I was clear. Bottom line, if hubbys benefits are really good then probably no need to buy Medicare.

As for turning it down now means never getting it, that is not what I was told and I do not think this is the truth. You may want to look further into that and others will be along to advise you as well. I think there are enrollment periods so the only time you can get on medicare in the future is during the enrollment period.

3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Cathy,

You will automatically be enrolled in Part A at no cost to you. Part B is voluntary and does have an additional cost. If you do not accept Part B at this time you are still eligible to enroll once your husbands coverage is terminated or during the appropriate enrollment periods prior. There are time limits involved once your husbands coverage is terminated to enroll in Part B.

All of this information can be found online http://www.ssa.gov/mediinfo.htm. You don't have to wait for the information to be mailed to you.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

4. macfamily53

macfamily53 Registered

Hi Cathy

I would take the medicare for sure no matter how hubbys insurence is.I had two of them for awhile and then all of sudden hubby was layed off and then brought back and told he is making seven dollars less then before and has no benifits at all:mad:.So he is stuck with a job that has ne health insurence at all:(.It can happen to anyone trust me and with having lupus it is hard to get another insurance for sure.Please call me if you need to chat or pm me whatever works.

Tammy

5. ROSJAC

ROSJAC Registered

Hi Cathy, I enrolled in Medicare 2 years after going on disability. ( I believe that is standard) Like the others, my husbands insurance was primary and medicare, second. When your husband retires, Medicare becomes primary. I agree with Tammy, with the state of our economy, I would take the medicare. If people do loose their jobs, the cost of COBRA and private insurance is out of sight! I recently tried to get more Life Insurance and was turned down because of my Lupus. Our health care system here in the States is deplorable and hopefully change will come.(time will tell) Just weigh all the pros and cons and see what works for your situation. Good Luck, Rosie

6. sunflowergirl2

sunflowergirl2 Registered

:posy: Thanks for all the great advice! Cathy

7. dudley

dudley Registered

I would ...with out a Doubt pick up medicare. With the current econamy you never know. Also I would look into supplemental insurance for you.

If your husband changes jobs or God forgive loses his job then you are stuck with having no insurance. Most new insurances require a 1 year look Back on exiisting disease. I don't know what your med bills are. Mine last year were well over 40,000 between docs and drugs. I would really do my home work.

Best of luck Elaine