Methotrexate and alcohol | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Methotrexate and alcohol

Discussion in 'Medications' started by sjink, Aug 3, 2008.

1. sjink

sjink Inky

Hi

Do those of you on methotrexate ever drink alcohol?

Methotrexate may be an option for me and although I don't drink much I do like the occasional beer or glass of wine. Have gone without drinking before (as for a while drinking even a thimblefull made me feel ill) so it would not be a massive loss. But I would miss the occasional glass which helps me relax in company.

Thanks
    Sara

2. sam101360

sam101360 Registered

Hi:

I am no longer on Methotrexate, I am now on CellCept, however when I was on Metho my Dr told me NO caffein and NO alcohol. I didn't miss the alcohol as I don't drink, but boy do I hate decaf anything...I survived.

I am sure others will come along who are on the med and they will be better able to adress this, I was only on it for 6 weeks as I had a bad reaction to it.

Stephanie

3. Nutty

Nutty Registered

I am taking Methotrexate and I haven't had a drink. I don't know if I would or not, but I'm on other drugs that don't allow alcohol as well such as coumadin. I don't know if I would chance it or not. I didn't know about the caffeine. I do have a cup of coffee in the morning. I used to drink the less than .5% beer or coolers that you can buy in the grocery stores (at least here you can). That did the trick for me. I would opt to look for those just to play it safe. They taste pretty good, satisfies your thirst and you fit in the crowd too, if you go out to a party or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Nutty

4. Maia

Maia Registered

I would have to say to NEVER drink alcohol while on methotrexate because the two when combined can cause serious liver problems --- & the liver is kinda important! Likewise, certain pain medications (especially when combined with methotrexate) can also cause liver problems so if you go on methotrexate, you should ask your doctor what pain medications you should and shouldn't take.

Here's a link on methotrexate:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/articles/628.html

Good luck - I hope this drug provides great relief for you if you go on it. It certainly has helped many people here!

5. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

I enjoyed 'alot' of wine previously but since being on cellcept I no longer drink (a very positive thing for me). You will probably find that you don't feel like it anymore as I'm sure Cellcept has changed my tastes for things.

As others have said methotrexate is a strong medication and you should consult your doctor.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

6. Fairy

Fairy Registered

I used to be on methotrexate, and most of the time I stuck to the no-alcohol rule. I have to admit I broke it pretty spectacularly on my 21st birthday though. It kinda had to be done, but the hangover was very special the next day...

7. sjink

sjink Inky

Hi
    Thank you everyone, that may be me on the wagon for a while then.

Sara

8. nicolarowles

nicolarowles Registered

Hi,

You can drink on methotrexate, they recomend no more than 5 units per week, I take it and drink every now and again, sometimes a more than should as long as you feel ok just be careful, I have taken methotrexate for about 3 years.

Hope that helps.

9. erenae1974

erenae1974 Registered

Yeah, I talked to my dr. about this too, as I occasionally like a drink as well. (I also take methotrexate). He said to try to limit it and expecially don't drink on the day you take it. So, I do still drink, but on a limited basis. This past weekend I was camping with friends & ended up having 3-4 beers on Saturday night, then I just said I had to stop, knowing I shouldn't be doing that really helps keep it in check. You should ask your dr. what he thinks.

10. pukekos

pukekos Registered

I was told NO alochol or caffine. That wasn't a hard ask for me but I have been known to have one drink a couple of times a year. I am good about very little caffine as well but now and again seems to be okay. I have been on methotrexate for 6 years. The way it was explained to me was that the liver has to work VERY hard to clear the methotrexate from your system so adding alcohol of caffine or other meds just makes the job harder.

Cheers
    Pukeko

PS my biggest problem was chocolate - even the smell made me green:eek:

11. sjink

sjink Inky

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all your comments. I will go on rheumy's recommendations as some of you seem to have the odd drink and others not. My health is the most important thing.
    Love
    Sara

12. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Hi guys, I've just read the above posts regarding methotrexate and alcohol.

But I have a couple more questions - how long does methotrexate stay in the system for? i.e if I take 15mg on a Thursday will it still be in the blood the following Thursday?

The reason I ask is I'm going to a party in September where I will be asked to take a couple of tequila shots and it would be very rude for me not to. I don't normally drink (last time I drunk was when a friend got married several years ago, and I had half a glass of champagne), so my plan was to stay off methotrexate for one week (it won't be a problem as I've had to do this before when I went down with acute sinusitis). I'm hoping to then have some alcohol without any side-effects.

Or will the methotrexate and alcohol still react even if I don't take methotrexate for one week?

13. mark176

mark176 Active Member

The half life is about 10 hours, so it will take 55 hours to leave the system. However, that is not the problem. Methotrexate can or will impair liver function even after it has left the system. I STRONGLY suggest that you speak with your consultant on this matter.

I drunk on mepacrine and that caused problems!

It takes a healthy liver about 6 hours to process 0.5ml of alcohol. A liver on methotreate will take significantly longer

14. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

I walk with a lady who is 76 and enjoys a couple of glasses of red a night on methotrexate, which she does no problem. Wine is obviously less strong than tequila shots and I can't cope with spirits anymore sadly... had a rum coffee whilst away and it usually sets my migraines off, that I have only had since Lupus; I am not on methotrexate, but Cellcept plus a myriad of others.

My liver levels are so much better and low side of normal now the system is calm and I do have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner most nights, but it is individual.

Most want to look after their health and not feel rough...whilst maintaining a normal as possible existence ......so go easy, especially with spirits and not being used to drinking anything at all...but do enjoy yourself too. Might mean moderating it a bit, but still joining in.

I don't know about coming off your meds, might be worth running past your Rheumy as they are human too....but good idea, as Mark said of getting some advice on this one.

Have a good September party :0)

15. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Thanks guys for your replies.

Mark I'm shocked about the alcohol level of a tequila shot - 40(ish) ml. My maths is atrocious but what I do know is it'll take a helluva lot of days to process through my system!!

I'm seeing my GP before I party so will definitely be speaking to him about it. But just wanted to know what feedback you guys have had.

I had acute sinusitis a few days before Xmas and I was taken if methotrexate for 3 weeks. So am hoping it shouldn't be a problem this time. Also my liver function has always been normal. Long may that last too.

PS At this party will be preceded by a day of skiing in Milton Keynes :) Those who know me on here will know how badly I've wanted to ski again :)

keebler likes this.
  16. bunnygirl

bunnygirl New Member

You want to get detailed information about Methotrexate and Alcohol, read this guide.

Surferboy likes this.