Methotrexate | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Methotrexate

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lori ODonnell, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Lori ODonnell

Lori ODonnell New Member

All,
    Please be careful taking methotrexate injections or pills. I was prescribed injections in 2008 and my Dr. Stated "only 10% of people lose their hair". I lost all my hair. If this does happen, take prenatal vitamins instead of biotin. It will save you years of trying to get your hair back! The drug did nothing for me but made me lose my appetite and hair. Just FYI.

sagehen likes this.
  2. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get on with methotrexate. I've been taking it for nearly 9 years and fortunately haven't experienced any side effects. I take folic acid daily, it was only when methotrexate was added to my other meds that my symptoms were finally controlled. I take it you have an alternative medication that suits you?
    Jess.

sagehen and Tired like this.
  3. frank mcmanus

frank mcmanus New Member

I have suffered with discoid lupus for 24 years I am now in remission . My doctor at Hope hospital has taken me off hydroxyclouriquine and I am doing ok.It has been a long and enduring problem for me but at the min fingers crossed the problem has gone.I do agree with the doctors that this type of lupus can in time as they say can go away as quick as it came.I hope you can manage lupus as I seem to have done....Good luck and God bless.If you want to ask me any question I will try to help.

sagehen likes this.
  4. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member

I think most of us forget that Methotrexate is a chemotherapy. It stands to reason that some of us will loose our hair. Thank you, for the helpful advice, Lori.
    It is good to know that Prenatal vitamins work much better or hair regrowth, than biotin.