My rheumatologist is even confused | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

My rheumatologist is even confused

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Astrid, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Astrid

Astrid New Member

Hi! I'm a 32 year old female, diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2 or 3 years ago. Well, lingering symptoms led my GP to run a connective tissue profile and some flags were raised. I'm hoping to get the opinions of some more educated people. I only know what I've googled. I went and saw my rheumy but she was baffled and decided to run more descriptive tests, which I'm currently waiting for the results on.

ANA: High 134 (should be below 20)
    dsDNA: High 474 IU/mL (should be below 201)
    Chromatin Ab: High 88 units (should be below 20)
    Centromere Ab: High 54 units (should be below 20)

Test ran that were normal: Vitamin D, C Reactive Protein, Rheumatoid Factor, Uric Acid, Various Thyroid Labs (though my TSH was low), SMITH (ENA) Ab, IGG; RNP (ENA) Ab IGG; SSA (Ro) Ab; SSB(La)Ab; Scl-70 IgG Ab

Any thoughts are welcome. I am just trying to be an informed patient at this point.

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Asstrid and welcome.

It is good that your rheumy is running more tests. She didn't dismiss you. Lupus is very hard to diagnose it mimics so many other illnesses. Do you have a return appointment with her?

Here is a link to the home page of this forum. It has loads of information.
    https://www.thelupussite.com/

Take care,
    Lyn

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
  3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hello Astrid,

Your rheumy will take your symptoms along with the bloods to determine if or which autoimmune disease is possible. It can be very confusing because the anti-dsDNA is more common to Lupus. The anti-centromere pattern would point more to limited scleroderma or Crest but can also be found in Lupus. Autoimmune diseases share symptoms also so it may take time for the blood and symptoms to point in a certain direction.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

4. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

I wonder why she's confused.