need doc in Baltimore Maryland area or within driving distance | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

need doc in Baltimore Maryland area or within driving distance

Discussion in 'Find a Lupus Doctor' started by Amanda F., May 19, 2016.

1. Amanda F.

Amanda F. Member

Can anyone recommend a good doctor in Maryland? I'm near Baltimore but could also do Washington D.C.

I think I'll need one who will know how to test for Lupus after a person has been on some immune suppression for a while already. I've been taking hydrocortisone for 7 years now (prescribed for adrenal insufficiency). I've had to gradually increase my dose over the years as my symptoms have gotten worse. I'm now at 50mg and it's not keeping my symptoms under control. I think it's finally obvious this is more than adrenal insufficiency. But I worry my antibody tests won't register because of the hydrocortisone. So I need a doc who is either open minded or knows how to take that into account.

And if I can't find a good one in my area, I would consider a drive of 4 or 5 hours (maybe PA or VA). I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!
    Amanda

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Try the University hospitals they usually have good doctors there.
    You could ask your GP and see if he knows of anyone.
    Take care,
    Lyn

3. Amanda F.

Amanda F. Member

Thanks Lyn. I did ask my GP - waiting for a call. I also looked on my insurance company's website. I saw one there...googled them...then hit on Baltimore magazine's list of top doctors for 2011. Then I googled for Baltimore magazine's list of top doctors 2016 (apparently they publish a list every year). I found two and they're closer to me than Baltimore. I googled the docs by name and they both have great reviews on various sites. So I bet most major cities probably have a similar magazine that puts out a list every year. I never even thought of it.

Amanda

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

You can also check with the closest Lupus Foundation.