new claim | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

new claim

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by mazie33, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mazie33

mazie33 Guest

i have just done my 3rd claim i have to do them every 3yeras
    normally i get a dissicion straight away but this time ive had a letter saying they cant give me a disscion yet they are requesting a report from the dr and will let me when they can

this has never happened before and im worried as i have just moved and only been with the gps a few months and they dont really know me the dr ive been seeing has just left

any advise

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi there,

I'm afraid I know nothing of disability procedure in the UK but I'm wondering, could you not get the docs where you lived previously (or the rheumy) to send on a detailed report to your current GPs? Even if that means them sending it on after to the disability people.

Sorry I can't help more. It is always worrying such things :(

Katharine

3. LolaLola

LolaLola Registered

Hello Tracey, Lola here (Dawn) from sunny Newport!actually it is slushy Newport today. I would not worry too much as you can always submit additional evidence, maybe ask for access to your Records and copy helpful parts with dates etc.
    Usually the DLA give much more weight to what their Doc. says and so will arrange an examination with their Visiting Doctor if they are in any doubt.

Would love to know how you are doing. PM me if you want.

4. Vina-Del-Mar

Vina-Del-Mar Registered

Hi Dawn,

Just read your post on DLA - how is it going? Did they request a report from GP or Rheumy? I get DLA and hope I can be of help.

Eve x

5. Vina-Del-Mar

Vina-Del-Mar Registered

Sorry meant to say Mazie - .......... and that question was for her.

Hi Lola - soz hun, mind all over the place lol

Eve

6. Ooohmekneeshurt

Ooohmekneeshurt Registered

mazie33;
    Ditto;...... I could not beleive it when I got the letter back to say they were getting more information from my Doc. Its part of a purge to find false claimants. You can understand them doing their job, but when you are a genuine claimant getting a letter like that immediately makes you anxious.
    Stay on track, phone them up if needed, ask them if they have all of the details, get them what you feel they need to have in front of them. DONT FORGET; their JOB is to STOP people getting benefits, not find and support them. So if they dont have the fullest information it gives them an excuse.

7. happycrystalmaid

happycrystalmaid Registered

I'm still waiting on a decision on my first claim. I have one of their docs coming to see me on Monday. Any advice on what to do when they come would be welcome. They have already written to my gp and the gen med consultant but I dont see a rheumy until March 10th.

Hope your gp is able to give them what they need so your claim goes through

sharon

8. Emma G

Emma G Registered

Hi,
    I have only made one claim before and had the same letter back saying they were getting more info from dr's etc. After weeks of waiting they then wrote to tell me that I was not entitled to either part of DLA. I just left it at that, until now as I am in more pain etc now and am finding more things harder to do etc. I have just ordered a new claim pack and have been told to get the CAB to help me fill it in this time, so I am hoping for a different outcome this time round. I am also looking for advice on DLA, as some seem to get it and others dont. Good luck with your claim and let me know how you get on.

9. orangelily

orangelily Registered

Hi hope the following helps in some way:- If you have an organisation called DIAL listed in your area I would suggest that you contact them quickly, they fill out the forms and they also know the wording that the DLA require, it is also a free service. I had them help me and they were fantastic.

In connection with the Doctor visiting the house:- make sure that you have someone with you and if you are not feeling well and the Doctor asks you to do something ie bend/lift/raise arms etc., say no you cannot do it as you are not feeling well and/or that you could try but tell them to be aware of the language you may use as it causes you so much pain but also stress that you will not do it just to prove a point. If you are not well that day do not get out of bed just because the Doctor is coming he will see you as you are ie confined to bed and that you must have someone in the house with you to help ie prepare hot drinks which is of course essentil at the moment/help with moving around as well as holding onto furniture if you need, also assistance with going to and from the toilet. Also have your medication available for him/her to make a note of.

Please remember not to stress out, I did and was a wreck by the time the Doctor came to see me but I must admit the Doctor who saw me was fantastic. If you can get someone from DIAL to help with forms/what the Doctor is looking for ie how the DLA score certain criteria. If you cant do something the Doctor asks say so and why ie to painful/loss of balance, also tell the Doctor how you try and cope even if you cant cope with certain things ie lifting of kettle etc., or holding pots to prepare a hot meal ie your grip is not strong enough - if you have had any accidents when you have tried to do things and that you no longer do them.

Sorry about the length of this reply - I hope I have tried to explain what might happen.

10. happycrystalmaid

thanks so much - will use your advice on Monday when the doc comes x

11. Emma G

Emma G Registered

Hi,
    Just read your reply to Mazzie and found it very helpfull myself, so just wanted to thank you. I am just about to apply for the 2nd time for DLA, and am looking for as much help as possible this time round. Last time my dr never supported the claim as he was unaware of the troubles I was having etc. This resulted in my claim being refused and I was to exhausted and unwell to appeal. This time I am ready for the fight and have lots of family support behind me. Thanks again and take care Emma

12. Ooohmekneeshurt

Ooohmekneeshurt Registered

Also; let them have the worst case senario; Just because one day you feel OK, dont treat that as an average or normal day. They tend to try to place 'false positives' in the form/report; So if one day you can cook for your kids, they will suggest you do it each day without a problem; They will put it down in their Report as if you swing from the lights, and dance all around the kitchen. They will not put in that after doing a basic meal you may need to have a sleep, or someone else has to tidy up; or that you cannot bend down to the lowest cupboard to put pans away etc etc, etc.
    Also tell them how it has forced you to change your diet; I rarely eat potato any more, or fresh veg, because I cannot peel it; because of my hands. DONT BE A HERO,..... tell them how it is for you.

13. orangelily

orangelily Registered

Hi I would like to also add if you have had to make any changes to taps/bathroom ie had shower fitted instead of bath, cupboards moved so you can use them, someelse has to prepare your meals so that you can eat during the day when they are at work etc., ie sandwiches which you can easily get to, or something in a low level micro wave and not heavy to remove.

If you can make a list of everything that has been done to try and make it easier for you, what is planned to be done, remember not just in the house please remember the garden as well, we are entitled to at least sit outside for a little while each day!!!!

If you have trouble going shopping on your own say so and that you no longer do this, you are dependant on someone else.

IT is easy to forget that we are no longer "normal" in the way things are done and we also forget that we have had to adapt and we take the adaption as the norm when it isn't.

Good luck to everyone with their DLA Assessment and please DO NOT STRESS I know easier said than done.

14. orangelily

orangelily Registered

15. orangelily

orangelily Registered

16. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Hi Eilidh,

Please could you provide the direct link to the site that the information has been copied from....thanks!

17. orangelily

orangelily Registered

Hi the link is as follows:- www.Tameside.gov.uk and then click on the corresponding alaphabetic letter-click on W go down the page to Welfare Rights bring up that page and on the left hand side it will list Related Links click on the ESA and then go down to the Assessment Phase and click the link in that paragraph.

18. Lily

Lily Registered

Hi Eilidh,

I found the direct link and have put it in for you. All you have to do is go up to the http address on the correct page and right click which highlights it, then select copy, then right click in your own post and paste it :) Saves copying all the text and also covers the site as far as copywright laws go (i.e. we have to put a direct link in whenever quoting text). :)

love
    Lily

19. happycrystalmaid

had the doctors visit this morning. He certainly didnt go overboard on friendliness and left me exhausted. All I can do now is wait and see what they say.

20. orangelily

orangelily Registered

Hope you are starting to relax and getting some of your strength back. These Doctors I am sure are the glummest people on this planet they certainly dont help with the stress factor!!!

I do hope that things work out for you.

take care there is no point in getting stressed out waiting for the outcome.