noise causing a flare??? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

noise causing a flare???

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Marika, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Marika

Marika Marika

Hi, I haven't been on for ages.Lots of things have happened. But in the last month I was out with friends, each time in a very noisy restaurant , those where you have to shout to the person sitting next to you. The first time I was a mess the following day....lots of pain,crying and just the lot. Last night I went out, same thing today...I am on Ibuprovain now every 3 hours, I have had asthma attacks, problems with my ears the last 4 weeks any way.but today cant hear a thing..cant even open a bottle, my hands are sopainful..Just wondering if anyone has had this also.

Choosingme likes this.
  2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya..... I certainly suffer with sore throat, fatigue and generally a bit flarey if I have been out particularly with the girls in a very talkative environment etc.... add noise to the mix and it wipes me out for several days.....so yes I know exactly what you are describing. It is better once the Lupus symptoms are better controlled but you may find you always get a boomerang effect from these environments........everything changes with these diseases...flying is really difficult for me now and it takes me several days to recover and often gives me a disgusting headache/migraine whilst on the flight..............it is amazing how well we cope given all these various onslaughts ....think you need to document this set of circumstances...it is a good way of illustrating to your Rheumy what happens and gives a specific example.... must do that myself ;0)

A lot of the payback pain is inflammatory driven, so hands swell, ears block, throat swells, eyes get sore, head aches, joints play up.... and on and on :0(((

Pamela Hollis and Choosingme like this.
  3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Welcome back Marika! Sorry to hear it is under such circumstances.

Whenever I go out in the evening I have problems the next day. Not sure how much noise enters into it as much as changing my body's routine.

Take care,
    Lazy legs

Choosingme likes this.
  4. Smile Of Life

Smile Of Life Duncan

I'm the same as Claire and Lazy Legs. I have to either leave early when I'm out with friends or get someone to take me home, because I know I won't be able to drive. I put it down to exhaustion from having to concentrate so much on the conversations. But I usually leave feeling drunk (without drinking) and am exhausted most of the next day. With or without noise.
    Good luck.

5. Nikita

Nikita Member

I have the same problem with conversations, esp with more than one person and esp if i have to walk at the same time. It feels like me brain cannot process it all which leads to rapid exhaustion.

6. mishmash

mishmash Registered

Hi all.

When I go out I know I am going to suffer for a good few days afterwards. Usually feeling extremely hungover and I tend to drink sparkling water when I go out. May as well just get drunk if I get the after effects lol.

Noise does effect me but not sure yet if it makes any kind of inflammatory issues for me but I definitely get the extreme fatigue, headaches body aches.

In general though I do suffer with noise anxiety not sure if this is linked to my lupus or just if its something else. I tend to get really upset if I am in a loud environment or things like if the tele is on too loud etc... Never really thought to ask about it thought I was just being over sensitive.

Have a good day everyone xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tuffymason

tuffymason Registered

This is a very interesting post. I have Lupus as well as other things.... one is Addison's Disease...it is when the adrenals quit working. They produce fight of flight hormones; steroids. So when there is stress on the body of any kind I hit a wall pretty quick, and sometimes I have to take extra prednisone the steroid replacement drug.
    So when what you are talking about, in the past has bothered me I thought it was due to the stress and lack of enough steroid replacement. This post tells me now however
    that it happens with Lupus as well. interesting. The worst times I notice it was at a New Years Eve party. The music was so loud that you had to yell at the top of your lungs just to talk to the person next to you. Not allot of fun anyway, but I ended up having to leave before midnight because of it. I was so sick, just a mess, could hardly walk, shaking, dizzy, nauseated, sweating really scary stuff. The other thing I have had to stop doing is going to the movies. The last movie I saw was so loud I began to get ill the same way. Never again. Why on earth is that kind of volume necessary??? So now I wonder with this post if it is also or more about the affect on the central nervous system?
    The human body is so fascinating, and I don't suppose I would know it if I didn't have the issues I do....could that be a positive thing??? LOL! Sandra

8. Felicity

Felicity Member

I probably live in one of the most (if not The most) noisiest countries on earth. Everywhere you go, there is constant noise. There are no quiet places anywhere in Mexico. Walmart: every department has their own boom box or sound system. Meat section, pharmacy section, dairy section, electronics section, alcohol section, etc---they're all playing incredibly loud and annoying music, as if they're competing with each other. Then the dairy department might decide to offer specials on yogurt, so they'll even have dancing girls in tight clothes holding cups of yogurt with boom boxes so loud as if to blast you off to another planet. I haven't even begun to mention the crying babies and crying children (children from age 5 and up should not, in my opinion, be throwing crying fits for toys or candy in stores). And of course there is the very loud main store loudspeaker that announces specials in each department.

And then out on the street there are old VW bugs with loudspeakers mounted on the roofs announcing pizza specials, karaoke specials, shoe specials, beauty salon specials, you name it. And every vendor has a certain sound so you know they're coming along---the knife sharpener plays a flute, the flauta vendor carries a triangle that he dings over and over, the steamed sweet potato vendor has a steam whistle that blares over and over. Even the garbage truck is preceded by a boy carrying a cow bell and ringing it over and over so you know to rush out an put your garbage on the street.

Noise is my enemy. It causes me extreme crushing fatigue, all over body aches, dizziness, loss of balance, anxiety attacks, and extreme irritability, and the next day I am a totally incapable of doing anything. One day last week at McDonald's, after listening to Taylor Swift at the highest decibel level possible, I got up and walked to Office Depot next door and bought noise cancelling headphones. And I made a vow to never set foot into Walmart again. I will only go to Costco. Costco plays no music at all. There is not even a public address system. It is still a bit noisy, there are still a few, though less, crying babies and children, but it is less noisy than Walmart, and now I have noise cancelling headphones! And I don't care if I look absurd at age 62 wearing Beats Studio headphones. I have to protect myself. I listen only to spa type relaxing and soothing music. It's not the perfect solution, but it helps!

9. Crazylegs

Crazylegs New Member

I know exactly what you mean. Noise is a big trigger for flares. I have actually been to parties and had to leave in the middle of the night because someone puts on heavy house music. Actually feel like my head will split open if I stay.... Not that I try to explain that... No one gets it. Hope you're ok. Xxxx

10. n.mac

n.mac n.mac

Interesting... I never made a connection to lupus but I experience much the same from crowded noisy places.
    I tend to duck out as early as possible!

11. Daisy5

Daisy5 New Member

I just found this thread am glad I did. Since being diagnosed with lupus I noticed being exhausted the next day, after eating out with my girlfriends. Takes me a couple of days to get back to "normal". My brain won't work, pain is horrible. I don't even want to talk to my husband. The noise gets on my nerves and I'm ready to leave after a few min. I've noticed this each time I'm out,and question if the activity is worth what I'll go through the next few days.

12. VeeJay

VeeJay Member

An interesting thread indeed. I am very sensitive to loud noise, especially music with drums and a strong beat. I get fatigued in a social situation where there's a lot of loud conversation around me. I have been known to wear ear plugs even in church.

I know I'm fortunate in that the noise doesn't actually make me sick or cause a flare. But from what you all report, it seems reasonable that this sensitivity is AI related.

13. Daisy5

Daisy5 New Member

I've thought of getting ear plugs. My husband always puts his phone on speaker and that is extra loud to me so ear plugs will work.

14. littlelupie

littlelupie Registered

Noise has always triggered weird pains in my head and headaches also. This started long before I was even dx. No one knows what it is or has any idea how to stop it.