oh dear! what am I ment to be doing!? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

oh dear! what am I ment to be doing!?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by kirsty86, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kirsty86

kirsty86 Registered

I'm on ESA at the moment and had a medical on friday. I swear I completely fluffed it up due to my poor memory so I'm going to have to appeal if its refused. I swear the questions are worded to trip you up!

She asked me: " What do you do on an average day?" followed by "Do you have any hobbies or studies?" really confused me.

done nothing but kick myself ever since as I answered, "Erm......I read alot." Duh! stupid woman!

I also forgot to tell her that I'm in moderate pain all the time punctuated with migraines. That I have to rest alot and sleep during the day as well as the really bad days where I cant get out of bed!

Damn it! I'm such a dunce some times.

I dont even know if I would be entitled to DLA. I was diagnosed in mid june, Plaquenil isnt helping if anything I'm in more pain now than I ever have been particularly hands and upper back.

just finding it really difficult at the moment. I lost my job in march due to absence becuase of symptoms. My family arent being very supportive about the diagnosis and my GP looked at me like I had 3 heads. Not sure what I should be doing *Sigh* :(

2. MyLupusIsNoJoke

MyLupusIsNoJoke There will be better days

I completely understand how u feel! Maybe it would help if you kept a journal of your symptoms and u could take it to your dr appointments. u could even write down your symptoms in one of those planner things cause they already have the date and time in them. Family is supposed to be supportive of u but if they r not u have to create a support system for yourself. Don't isolate yourself like I used to. Even if its just a phone call it always helps to have some kind of connection. I hope my advice helps. if u ever just want to talk u can send me a message.

3. kirsty86

kirsty86 Registered

Thankyou.

I am trying. Its hear though when there is so little awarness for Lupus.

4. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

Hi Kirsty86

You are right, there is little awareness of lupus. Hopefully your assessment will come back as being passed, if not, appeal. Good luck with your claim for DLA. Let us all know how you get on. I'm getting assessed a lot as well. I've filled in so many forms now, I'm sick of it, but we need money to live. I hope your treatment is sorted quickly for you and things start to look up.

Love Lupo 30 x

5. kirsty86

kirsty86 Registered

Thanks Lupo.

I still havent heard any thing from DWP wonder how long this process takes!

Sorry I'm a little short on patience at the moment

6. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hello there,

I agree that if it is refused, it often is the first time, then you should appeal. Having a supportive GP in the process is very important and it sounds like yours isn't very helpful. Another thing you could do to get advice on any forms is ask if the CAB can't help in any way.

I got questions such as do you watch TV or read (a lot of my symptoms are CNS ones and I can't work due to them as well as physical) but I answered well (and truthfully) on that because the only "reading" I do is on my i-pod with audio books - they are such a wonderful gift when the written word turns into a sea of symbols that you just can't face.

I think all these processes take a long time :hug:

Katharine

7. pippa10

pippa10 Registered

Hi Kirsty, I know where your coming from I've been there. Don't be to hard on your self for the answers you gave we can always do better after we've thought about the question. If you need to appeal at least you will be better prepared. I have got an invalidity pension but it was hard work getting it.

Don't give up and go easy on your self this advice is coming to you from someone who also needs to take it.

Let us know how you get on Pip

8. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

Hi Kirsty

Just to let you know that we are all thinking of you. It is stress that we don't need. It will be worth it, just stay strong.

Love Lupo30 x

9. kirsty86

kirsty86 Registered

still no news. sigh.

10. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Are they still paying you while you're awaiting a decision? I hope so! This is a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait. :(

11. kirsty86

kirsty86 Registered

yes I'm still receiving basic ESA benefits. £50.00 a week. its very tight! good thing I live with my mum! I'm still sending them monthly sick notes.

12. kirsty86

kirsty86 Registered

still no news but I'm still sending sick notes and still being issued payments. I dont know if I should be worrying.

13. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

If they are still paying you - GOOD. Your doctor knows you are still unwell as he wouldn't give you the notes otherwise. We are all thinking of you. Hopefully it won't be too long now.

lupo30 x