Overlap Between SLE and RA | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Overlap Between SLE and RA

Discussion in 'Lupus News, Awareness and Research' started by MissDaisy 1, Dec 27, 2016.

1. MissDaisy 1

MissDaisy 1 Member

2. mark176

mark176 Active Member

I can well believe that there is a strong overlap between both. The only thing that distinguishes one from the other is the type of antibody produced.
    Ultimately they all merge into the same class autoimmune. They are all treated same way using immunosuppressive drugs

MissDaisy 1 and VeeJay like this.
  3. keebler

keebler Moderator

We do have members who have both RA and lupus.

Laranne and MissDaisy 1 like this.
  4. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

Hi
    It's real. I have had sle and RA for years now but no wiser which one is causing what. It can get very painful and I don't want to move. Raynards and fibro on top, so never know what one the pain is coming from. It's not easy coping with it all but always remember to rest it's important.
    Wolf1

5. MissDaisy 1

MissDaisy 1 Member

My last ANA came out negative although I've had mildly positive ANA's in the past. I will find out more in late January. Waiting is always so hard.

Rest is important and hard for me to remember. I am so used to running around.

Do you have any tips on how often to rest? Would love to read any advice at all.

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

6. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

There is no formula on how often to rest. My body usually lets me know I've done too much if I pay attention to it. I usually get shaky and stumble but that is due to my CNS symptoms. Otherwise it is usually the fatigue taking over or my concentration getting worse.

Lupusdude likes this.
  7. NelliefromTexas

NelliefromTexas New Member

I have RA and Lupus. (Nelliefromtexas). I will not take prescribed drugs. I have searched and bought many alternative remedies, hoping for help. In the past 6 months, I finally found something that helps my energy...I still sleep a lot, but after all, I am 80! hah. I use Curcumin 750mg 3x dy, and Ashwaganda 600mg 2x dy. Curcumin helps my pain, Ashwaganda helps me BP and my fatigue. I also take Dr. Gundry's Reds and his probiotics for energy and stomach health. When starting these 2, I felt more energy and less pain in 2 days. All 4 reme Just started Glucocil for my energy and weight...we will see if that also helps.

susane likes this.
  8. susane

susane Registered

I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis which he said is an overlap with my Lupus.

susane

9. susane

susane Registered

10. susane

susane Registered

NelliefromTexas, how long have you had Lupus and Rhuematoid Arthritis. How have you done through the years using the non prescriptions drugs. I would really like to know. Thank you.

susane

11. MissDaisy 1

MissDaisy 1 Member

I hate to be the negative one here but homeopathic drugs will do little to help either RA or Lupus. Both illnesses are caused by the body turning on itself. Our immune system will need prescribed drugs to suppress the activity. Homeopathic drugs may help ease the pain but they can not stop the inflammation to the degree that prescription drugs can do.

I'd prefer knowing the drugs I am taking will help calm my immune system as the inflammation has probably damaged my kidneys and joints.

12. susane

susane Registered

Miss Daisy,
    I wonder this too. I mean I think I should be on stronger meds, but it is scarey. I feel so bad these days on my meds etc. I have been losing weight which I do need to too, and eating a completely healthy diet, but I still feel so bad, and no energy. Do you think that the bigger drugs that knock the over active things in our bodies helps you have more energy? I feel like the lupus is killing me.
    Thanks,
    susane

13. debatat

debatat Moderator

Susane, it is scary taking strong mecs but your doctor wouldnt prescribe them unless absolutely necessary. It takes some time for them to kick in but when they do they really help. Meds combined with gentle exercise, enough rest and healthy eating can go a long way to helping you feel better. I have just recently lost the extra weight I was carrying from steroids and that has made me feel so much healthier. Its little things you do yourself thst help, I find walking, just a small one even makes me feel much in control.

14. susane

susane Registered

Thank you Deb. That is encouraging.
    susane