Plaqenil and pregnancy? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Plaqenil and pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by kelomungus1, Feb 10, 2011.

1. kelomungus1

kelomungus1 Registered

I have been put on this, I am 11 weeks pg.
    I am allready on clexane and asprin for APS.
    I just read the drug info on here and am a bit scared. I was told it was safe during pregnancy...

I have been suffering from extreem tummy pains and *TMI* Trapped wind.
    It worries me in case this irritates my uterus and causes bleeding like with my little girl (passed away after premature birth due to clotts and bleeding causing premature rupture of membranes)
    Is anyone else on this and pregnant?
    Is it safe? I dont want to google it... :eek:

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I really have no idea for sure.
    I would suggest you chat with all doctors that are treating you.
    I think a good place to start would be your OB doctor whos care your under for pregnancy.
    Good luck.

3. Bella86

Bella86 Registered

Hi

I Also have APS and lupus an have Been put on clexane and aspirin in past pregnancy. My rhemu and ob both said that plaq. Is safe to take during pregnancy but they prefer not to give it due to it's affects on the babies eyes. They don't believe it can cause problems but they said RARELY it may happen so my rheum said if I flare during preg he will inject me with steroids as that gets chewed up and doesn't cross to the plecenta.
    My best suggestion is u get advise from your ob and rheum and don't worry about google as all situations are different and if your put on it by the doctor it can mean that the positives of this medicine outweighes the negatives of the drug

Good luck :)

4. littleboots

littleboots Registered

I'm on plaquenil for Lupus but don't have APS. I will be trying to get pregnant in a few months hopefully and my rheuma has said Plaqeunil is ok to take during pregnancy. He also said the reason why maunfacturers will not state this is beacuase there have never been clinical trials on pregnant women-nor will there ever be for obvious reasons. My GP also said she would be happy enough for me to continue taking it if I do conceive. As the others have said check again with your ob and rheuma. Good luck :)

5. mooks

mooks Registered

I took plaquenil all through my pregnancy and am still breastfeeding and still taking it and i have a beautiful healthy little girl. It is well known now that plaquenil is safe and recommended during pregnancy to control lupus flares xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and congats!!! :love:

6. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hi Im taking Planequil and trying for baby since september 2010,Rheumy said id stay on it and if flare id be given steriod low dose ive also been in discussion with my doctor what pain releif id be able to take,been told can have co codamol.

and my obs gynae agreed my rheumy would be one to prescbie my mediction.
    told me planequil is main safest drug for during pregancy.

i was on methotrexate before started trying for baby,so thats why im to stay on the planequil,congratulations on your pregancy.

do keep posting reading.

Countrylass

7. DoulaMom

DoulaMom Registered

Hi there! I have two healthy boys (3 1/2 and 1 1/2) that were conceived and carried to term while I was on Plaquenil. All my Dr's agreed that it was better for me to take it than stop due to any possible problems for the baby. We felt it was more likely to hurt my babies if I had a flare from being taken off than any chance the medication might cause problems. It is important for you to make that decision with your Dr's, but just wanted to let you know that yes, it can be safe! Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope things go well for you!