Plaquenil / hydroxychloroquine and pregnancy | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Plaquenil / hydroxychloroquine and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Antimalarials' started by Purple S, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Purple S

Purple S Registered

Hello everyone

I hope you are all well and wondered if you could give me some advice.

I currently take 400 mg of hydroxychloroquine each day but am hoping to have a baby next year and wondered if anyone could advise me if it is safe in pregnancy. I saw my GP today about it and she checked and said it probably was, but she was going to refer me to my rhumey to make sure. As it will probably take a few months (at least!) to get the appointment I thought someone on here is bound to have some experience that hopefully they will share with me. When I have looked on Google, all the sites seem to contradict each other and I don't want to take a risk with this. I also wondered if anyone knew how long it tends to stay in the system?

Thanks

:)

2. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

Hi and :welcome: to the site,

I know many, many posters on this site who have taken plaq during their pregnancy and had beautiful, bouncing babies. Hope this reassures you :)

It's a good idea to discuss getting pregnant with your rheumy anyway - your doctors will probably want to keep a close eye on you when you are pregnant. Do you see a rheumy regularly?

Take care,