Playing the Social Security Game | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing the Social Security Game

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by dudley, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dudley

dudley Registered

Hi,

I was lucky and got approved the first time around for Social Security disability. However, they did not say I was disabled until the exact day that they would not have to pay any back pay. I just kept my mouth shut and thanked my lucky stars. That was about 10 years ago.

I know of a couple of people on this site that went thru all the appeals processes and were denied. If they were approved they would have received a considerable amount of backpay.

When they reapplied they were approved......but no backpay because it was a new claim.

That was many years ago when I was active on this site.

Just recently I was in touch with people going through the process. They went through the whole game with lawyers. Lawyers told them up front they would probably be denied the first time, especially if back pay was an issue. They people I am talking about were not going for SSD for lupus. The lawyers also told them that if they had any physicological (sp) issues it would increase there chances.

Just an FYI. If you get denied the first time try again. Don't give up hope.

Dudley (Elaine)

2. tucson

tucson Registered

That is exactly what happened to me,by the time it's said and done you're great full for anything

3. denalirat

denalirat rockstar!

just to clarify one point that i recently learned -- you may only receive pay after you have been considered disabled for 5 full months. for example, if you applied for disability last fall and claimed that you had become disabled in mid-august...and then you were approved immediately, you would only receive pay starting in february (5 *full* months after you became disabled). hope this helps.