Polypharmacy?!? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Polypharmacy?!?

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by christianirc, Mar 23, 2018.

1. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

I saw a GI doc this week because I've been having a symptom of severe pain that starts about 5 minutes before I need to go to the bathroom. He did a colonoscopy and said he didn't find anything. He said it's probably due to depression... (which I don't have). I told him I know it can't be that because when I'm on high dose steroid burst the pain goes away. The day I take my acthar gel injection, the pain goes away. Pain meds don't affect it, and I'm not drug seeking. Doesn't that sound like inflammation (I should say my rheumy sent me to him because he wanted to try entyvio but you can't without the GI tests). This GI doc then proceeded to ask me what meds I was on (like he didn't have the long list) and tell me I was a Polypharmacy patient. He didn't believe in Polypharmacy and at that point I tuned him out. I have a reason for every single drug I'm on and my Rheumy has removed a ton more in trial and error. Grrrr ok sorry. Those stomach pains are a 10 on the pain scale though. I throw up, sweat profusely and sometimes pass out. Then after I'm able to go to the bathroom the pain goes away to a 0. Twice it has lasted for over 8 hours and I ended up in the ER. CT scans showed swelling in the wall of the ileum but this guy didn't even listen to that. Colonoscopy was clean so nothing is wrong. Grrrr.. I'm sorry. I just wish sometimes we had a plug we could plug in to these docs so they could feel what we feel. Thanks for listening. Bren

Lupusdude likes this.
  2. debatat

debatat Moderator

I am sorry you had a doctor who didn't listen. I hope they find the cause of your pain soon, it sounds horrible.

Lupusdude likes this.
  3. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Actually it sounds like my IBS pain. Is it mostly on the lower left abdomen? I started getting pain there about 2-3 years ago. The doc did colonoscopy and said it was IBS. Now I've got a special diet to follow.

4. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

I've put myself on a very low residue diet and sometimes it helps, but when there is a flare nothing helps.