Prednisone questions | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Prednisone questions

Discussion in 'Corticosteroids' started by Psnyperfox, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Psnyperfox

Psnyperfox New Member

I was on 10mg for a week last week, went off it, felt like crap again.. back on 10mg a day now (20 for Prime Week—I work at Amazon and have some double shifts) then down to 5mg through August and probably September. I’ve read a few places that if you take it “long term” that you should carry a medical alert card. Is my prescription “long term”? They’ll want me to have a badge at work if so but there’s no point in asking if I’m not on it “long term”. Also, low much/how long does it usually take to suppress your immune system to a degree you should actually care about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sagehen likes this.
  2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

I doubt your doctor will leave you on it long term but that is a question for the doctor. Instead if you continue to have symptoms your doctor may add a steroid sparing medication for the future.

3. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya... just to say that if you are on the higher dose for over 2 weeks you need to taper the dose downwards under drs instructions... you can't just go up and down with the doses, as that would be detrimental to your body.
    I take immuno suppressants and have got to 3.5mgs of steroids, took me years !! But my dr has said he wishes me to stay there longterm.... as at a recent medical convention in Canada it was suggested that if you come off altogether, the vast majority will do well for 2/3 yrs but then have a problem again , worse than before. So it is suggested we stay on a low dose of steroids to prevent the disease from whacking us hard again further down the line. This is only based on the conversation I have had with my Consultant... not done any research of my own :0) ...Claire

sagehen likes this.
  4. Lori ODonnell

Lori ODonnell New Member

Hello. I have been on prednisone for 14 yrs. I also have gone up and down as flares arise. I was on 5 mg for years. My pulmonologist increased me to 10 mg a day 3 yrs ago. I will take an extra if I am having a bad day. I never heard of the medical bracelet for prednisone.

Lori

5. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya.. I have a medical card that states I am on steroids. Though it is in my purse, which I rarely take out with me .

6. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

I was on prednisolone 10mg recently for about a month, then decreased to 9mg for 2 weeks, then 8mg for 2 weeks, steadily reducing every 2 weeks, until I was off them. In all, I was taking them a six month period.
    I was given a little Steroid Alert card to carry whilst I was on them.

7. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member

Doctors and pharmacists like to know if we are taking Prednisolone, because the drug does lower our immune system.
    I remember the questioner for the yearly flu shot asked me if I was taking the drug and what the dose was. Carrying a card is an excellent idea, I believe. Especially, if there was a reason that you could not answer the question for yourself. Or loved ones could not be reached, in case of an emergency.

8. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member