Pregnancy and CellCept? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy and CellCept?

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by Stephers389, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephers389

Stephers389 Registered

I was recently diagnosed with SLE in May of this year. I have been on prednisone since November 2009, and Plaquenil and Cellcept in May 2010.

I have only been on the Cellcept (only 1 pill a day) for a couple of weeks, and was waiting to get into my OBGYN to get on a more permanent form of birthcontrol. After a failed condom and symptoms of pregnancy, I am starting to really get worried about being pregnant. I am a little too early to test still, but I have stopped taking the CellCept as I am EXTREMELY worried about the chances of birth defects.

Does anyone know more information about CellCept and babies concieved while taking it? I havnt been on it for long, and I stopped taking it as soon as I suspected pregnancy, but I am still worried... a little more information would really easy my mind!!

2. michelledub

michelledub Registered

hi stephers389,

i was on cellcept for 5 years because of kidney issues.
    my doc told me not to even think of getting pregnant while on it.
    if i remember correctly the company that produced it was glaxo smith kline (excuse my spelling).
    if you want to look them up.
    have a look at different threads regarding birth control alot of people have had different experiences
    but it may give you some peace of mind about yourself.
    lupus is a hormone based disease i was told when i asked about it, my lupus doc would not let me take
    the pill for fear it set my lupus off into a flare after it going into remission. she suggested i get a coil fitted
    if i wanted but she wasn't too insistant on that. i have alot of faith in her she has never given me bad
    advice in the 14 yrs since i was dx.

i hope all goes well for you.

really quiz your doc and if possible speak to your lupus doc before your appt with your obgyn.

3. michelledub

michelledub Registered

sorry
    the company who produces this in ireland
    is a company called roche

sorry about the mistake

4. Maia

Maia Registered

Here is some information for you to read...

http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/mycophenolate-mofetil.html

The biggest risk is first trimester miscarriage, and among the babies born there were
    22% with some deformity of ears/mouth which is a much higher rate than other transplant
    drugs. This is the reason it is a Class D drug (a drug that is known to cause fetal harm). Women are
    recommended to use two forms of birth control while on this medication and for 6 weeks after. All that said, there are women who choose to get pregnant while on this medication such as transplant patients that cannot tolerate another medication but it's not recommended of course.

All that said, you were on a low dose for a short period of time. You probably went off the medication before there was any placental exchange of blood products, etc. This has the potential to change the risk level for you but you will definitely want to talk to your doctors and a high risk OB-gyn if you are pregnant both because of the medication concern but also about managing your lupus during a pregnancy as lupus itself makes a pregnancy higher risk than average.

Good luck with everything and I hope you'll keep us posted.

5. alisiajo

alisiajo Registered

My doctor took me off of Cellcept when I wanted to try conceiving. It's probably a good thing that you stopped taking it when you felt the symptoms of pregnancy. I hope everything works out the way you would like!

6. Galyna

Galyna Registered

Hello, I also have lupus for many years now, and i'm on cellcept for about 3 years. on friday(20.04.2013) i confirmed my pregnancy... but i stopped taking cellcept i think 2 days after conception. at least i hope so. today i met my doctor, she told me it was good to stop cellcept, but also she told me i should not take it 6 weeks before conception. so in 2 days i am going to meet a "special" gynecologist and they will tell me all the "truth" about what can happen to me and my baby.. it is really heart tearing.. this baby was not planned, but i still hope that our chances a good.

7. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

Good luck with your appointment Galyna. :welcome: to the site :)

8. smartypants

smartypants Registered

what is the update on your appointment?

9. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Good luck Galyna.
    What joyous news

Did you dr not make you aware of medication and ask if planning for child or not yet but not on contraception...mine always have im currently trying concieve on imuran came off methotrexate 2010 spring started try november 2010 giving time planequil to kick in fully for me lupus got out control so on imuran told safe while preganant but see leaflet says otherwise so wil discuss with rheumy about stopping it once conceived.
    all best with your pregnancy
    Countrylass

10. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi everyone,
    I don't think you will get a reply from the original poster. She hasn't been on the site sind June,20,2010.

11. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

Sorry that was my fault! I'll lock it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.