Pregnancy and lupus | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy and lupus

Discussion in 'Relationships & Lupus' started by Concerened dude, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Concerened dude

Concerened dude New Member

Hi
    So my gf has the lightest firm of lupus so she's says..Apeeranly it isnt that bad.. She has it about year now..

My concen is what will happen when she get pregnant? What complications will we go through and will it affect the baby in an way(wishful thinking).
    and if treatment is taken regularly will/can lupus can worse in the long run?

Will regular exercise and healthy eating help with any related problems?(I assume it does but I want a second opinion)

How will smoking the hookah pipe affect her.. She's only 20..

Thank you

2. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

I can't really comment on the pregnancy, other members may be better placed to help with that one.
    Is she on any medication e.g plaquenil ?
    I would assume that the lupus is stable?

Lupus can be a changing beast. It can get better and go into remission and it can get worse. It can also stay the same. It seems to affect all of us differently. I would assume that if it is controlled there is less chance of it getting worse.

Definetly agree with the healthy eating. Good clean nutritious food.
    The exercise is a strange one! For me if I do to much it will make it worse. I have just started back at the gym and I'm doing between 5 to 10 mins gentle exercise and that is enough.

I would not advise smoking the pipe, but at the same time I sometimes drink alcohol and I know that makes my autoimmune condition worse.

Hope this helps
    Mark

3. Concerened dude

Thank you

I hope someone can advise me on the pregnancy thing..

She gyms 30-40mins intense sometimes any has the same problems as her friends who are lupus free..so I don't think that's the problem..

She promised not to smoke pipe and she never touched alcohol or drugs before..

I'm,trying to get her to get into the good eating(green tea.. Less crap.. Get into shape so she csn feel better about herself since she's holding about 20percent bf.. I don't want it to get put of control otherwise depression willing kick in..

And she's on cortisone to reduce swelling on her hands on a daily basis..
    She has a s5 pain pill which she takes on occasion because the pain is not bad she's says..

4. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

The cortisone is a steroid. Normally the rheumatologists start you on steroids on a short term basis and then at the same time try to get you onto a long term drug such as plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). This is because there is less risk of side effects from this drug compared to long term steroid use. That is assuming that she is taking oral steroids.

The long term drugs can take about 3 months to start to work, it worked for me after about 6 weeks. So the steroid is just designed to bridge the gap.

I rarely take pain killers now for my condition.

Mark

5. debatat

debatat Moderator

Pregnancy is best discussed with her lupus doctor first so he can advise you on meds and make any changes if needed. You can also be referred to a special clinic run for lupus patients who wish to have a baby depending where in the country you are. These days with careful monitoring mom & baby do very well.

6. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

The steroids tend to cause weight gain. It can affect your self esteem. We just need to remember we are still the same person. While on them it can be very difficult to loose weight. Eating healthy will help but in my case I don't see any real loss until I am off of them.

Exercise is great but I have found I need to do gentle exercise and in shorter time periods. I may feel great right after an intense workout but later in the day I pay for it. Your friend may need to experiment with her exercise program to see what works best for her.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

mark176 likes this.
  7. Concerened dude

She's on cortizone for the pass year.. I don't know whether her doctor mentoined about long term thing you mentioned above.. I hope it's a good sign..
    I agree constant monitoring and doctor and her should decide the best treatments for when she gets pregnant sometime in the future.. I just want to know and plan ahead and have things set up to make it easier on her if we ever get her pregnant..

Any mothers care to share they experience and how are your babies doing?