Premature rupture of membranes | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Premature rupture of membranes

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by kelomungus1, Sep 4, 2010.

1. kelomungus1

kelomungus1 Registered

Is this related to Lupus?
    Has anyone else suffered this. It happened to me at 18 weeks now nearly 20 and still leaking blood/fluid.

Is there anything I can do?
    What should I be asking my consultant.
    Thanks for all your help
    xxxxx

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

You should contact your consultant or go to the ER immediately. Testing needs to be done to see if it is indeed amniotic fluid or urine.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. kelomungus1

kelomungus1 Registered

Hi,

They know about this and I am being monitored twice weekly. They took swabs, and I am seeing the lupus consultant Tuesday.
    I had to go to Triage again with another massive bleed again this morning.
    The baby's heart sounded ok again, he/she is strong and hanging in the

Thanks
    xxx

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

I am glad to hear the doctor is on top of things.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

5. kelomungus1

kelomungus1 Registered

After a week in hospital I gave birth to my beautiful daughter at 21 weeks.
    Maeve Louise only lived for an hour and a half but she was so precious andit was the best hour and a half of my life.

I am now feeling all the things that I guess most mothers would feel at the loss of their child.
    One of them is anger.

My placenta was calcified.
    I had the lupus tests at 6 weeks. I have had bleeding since week 15 and everytime i went to the hospital I asked if they had checked to make sure I didnt have antibodies. No one ever answered me. It turns out I was not checked since week 6.
    I am so angry as I was refered to these people to make sure this didnt happen.
    xxxxxxxx

6. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

:sad:I am saddened to hear about the loss of Maeve Louise, please accept my condolences.

:grouphug2:Sending some gentle hugs your way too, as I'm sure you need plenty...I'm sure there are more things you need but unfortuantely I can't provide them for you....so wish I could!

We are all here for you, as and when you are ready...even if just to listen whilst you vent away.

One little thing just came to mind, was I hope that they have since tested you for APS..this can be carried out anytime.....it is crucial now that more tests are run so that you know where you stand with your health for the furture.

Take good care of yourself,

7. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Kelomungus
    my deepest condolences for your loss of your precious daughter,gentle hugs may you find comfort so sorry see your pain from this sad loss :hugbetter: .
    much apreciation of your spreading this info.
    lv
    countrylass

8. jetster

jetster Registered Users

Thats so sad Kelomungus1. My deepest sympathies go to you and your family. I'm sure little Maeve was a beautiful baby. I'm glad you got to spend some time with her. Its too bad the hospital dropped the ball. I can't blame you for the anger but don't let it eat you up or make you sick, if you can. Please take care and again I AM SO VERY SORRY to read about this terrible dilemma.

[[[[ Kelomungus1 ]]]]

............ Jetster :cry3:

9. keebler

keebler Moderator

Dear kelomungus1,

Please accept my sincere sympathies on the loss of your beautiful little girl.
    You will go threw a lot of emotions now.:hug: Loosing a child is the hardest thing that a parent ever has to go threw. My husband and I lost our daughter in 2008. There is an ache in your heart that does get softer as time goes on but you will never forget your little girl.
    Please let me know if you would like to talk.

Sending loving hugs to you and your family.:hug:
    Love,
    Lyn

10. natbat

natbat Registered

Hello Kelomungus1,

I am very sorry for your loss of you daughter maeve beautiful name.

Please be gentle with yourself and yes feeling angry is one part of it. I lost my daughter Carys in 2003 and not a day goes by where i dont think of her. If you want to talk let me know. I also know some good baby loss websites if you want the details do let me know.

there is a saying i like to share with you which has always stuck with me.

"Grief is like a jagged stone inside oneself, over time the jagged edges turn smooth, but the stone always remains."

Love and hugs to you.
    Natasha

11. Maia

Maia Registered

I am so very sorry for your loss. That must be such a difficult thing to go through - my heart aches for you. (((hugs)))

I hope there are things the doctors (and you) will learn about that can be applied in the future should you decide to try for another baby so there will not be another tragic loss.

12. redknight

redknight Registered

Hi,
    Echoing every one else, I'd just like to add my own prayers.
    I think you are very brave to share this with us and I can only hope that the love sent will somehow make the days easier for you.

13. doris999

doris999 Registered

Thinking of you,
    Hugs,
    Sandra.

14. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Oh dear, I am so so very sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine how hard that must be to know your daughter for so little time.

Like the others, sending lots of healing and strengthening hugs :grouphug2:

Katharine

15. Softspot100

Softspot100 Registered

My sincere apologies for my intoduction message a few minutes ago. This was totally due to unfamiliarity of the site. I wish to say how saddened I am on reading the above. Totally saddened by the loss of this little one. The name is really beautiful. Peace, love and light to mum dad and all family including little Maeve. God bless you all. Pat.

16. kelomungus1

kelomungus1 Registered

Thank you for all your kind thoughts.
    I am trying to piece together questions and my problems with the care I recieved at the moment.
    i dont believe they did an APS test before I left the hospital. I will call and ask tommorow.

Is anyone able to share with me what tests should be completed at what points in a lupus pregnancy?
    Was I being unreasonable to ask for more Lupus blood tests after 15 weeks?

Would it have been possible for these to be clear at 6 weeks but then Antibodies to develop after this point?

My placenta was calcified (clots according to my community midwife).
    I dont smoke, I ate healthy and took pregnancy vitimins.

I guess this is what i need to do in order to deal with this devestating experience.
    I will never forget her, and I loved her the moment I saw her. If anything this has now made me desire more brothers and sisters for her. However I want to know the care we recieve will be much better quality this time.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

17. keebler

keebler Moderator

18. BigSis

BigSis Registered

Hi, my sympathies to you for the loss of your little girl.

Give yourself a little time..then be sure to have an appointment with your GP or better still your OBS consultant in order for you to discuss your fears.

This loss may have nothing to do with lupus but you obviously have questions that need addressing before any thoughts of future pregnancies.
    I agree with the others that you MUST be tested for APS(anti phospholipid syndrome) as this is a recognised cause of miscarriage/preterm labour, and one that can be managed.

I wish you the very best....take care...x

19. cally

cally Registered

I just wanted to add my sincere condolences for you and your family. There is nothing I can say to make your pain ease but I just want you to know we are all thinking of you.

Cally xx

20. Maia

Maia Registered

Blood clotting antibodies does sound like this was a very likely reason for the placenta issues you had. I would *definitely* ask my doctor to test for them now and in the future repeatedly although I will bet that they will recommend a different treatment protocol for you in future pregnancies given what has already happened.

I am guessing they tested you for these earlier on and they were negative? For me, I had already tested positive to them and we knew this going into the pregnancy so I was placed
    on low dose aspirin to prevent clotting issues (I'd never had a clotting issue - just the antibodies). For you with future pregnancies given the loss that you have suffered and the reason for it being clotting problems, I would bet that you would be placed on heparin shots while pregnant regardless of any blood clotting test results.

If you had tested negative to them previously on one or more occasions, then I'm not sure the hospital/doctor should really be blamed for not repeating them at 15 weeks. It's a hard call though and I don't
    know all the details of course.