Probiotics | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Probiotics

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by GoldFlex, Jan 6, 2021.

1. GoldFlex

GoldFlex New Member

Hello All,

It's been a while since I've posted. I am asking for some feedback as many of you know more than I about this disease(s) and treatments. I have mixed disease, with a bunch of add-ons... Sjogrens, Non-Systemic Vasculitis, Neuropathy, Antiphospholipid, Hashimotos, etc. etc.

I am on prednisone, plaquenil, cyclosporine and a handful of other drugs. With that said, I have read over and over that the immunosuppressed should avoid probiotics -there are even warnings not to use if you have a picc or central line. However, my drs are generally ignorant about that and tell me to use a probitotic as I have been on a lot of antibiotics and now have been battling a fungal/yeast GI infection for well over a year. I have a central line and do IV therapy every evening for it (Mycamine) -but it is never enough to successfully kick the fungal/yeast per the blood work. I want to take a probiotic, but when I do, my absolute lymphocytes rise and I start getting symptomatic with the AI diseases (triggers my immune system). I think I will need a probiotic to get things back on track given the antibiotics, however.

What to do... Anyone have any experience or advice???

Thanks in advance!

Stay safe and well!

2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hi Goldflex... I take a probiotic, for years I used one that I subsequently read you should not take if you are on immunosuppressants, however, I was always ok on them...just didn't feel they were particularly helpful. I now take optibac everyday.... but I would be worried that you could react to that too if you are susceptible to changes with your lymphocytes when you are on probiotics.

I am wondering if you have tried all the yoghurt drinks etc with probiotic properties ? Not sure if you would react to those in a similar fashion ? Yoghurt is a good thing to have to help counter yeast infections...... and finally I would recommend taking Colloidal Silver ...you can swallow it safely and it helps knock out all types of nasties in a natural way. You would need to do some research on it if you are interested, as the dose I would take might not be officially correct... if you want to know a good brand please pm me. I'm sorry I can't be of more help..........Claire