Query regarding D.L.A. | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Query regarding D.L.A.

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by gladys, Oct 21, 2010.

1. gladys

gladys Registered

I have been getting DLA since 2006, I was awarded this because I was in extreme pain with swollen joints and painful hands (knuckles and wrists). I also have rheumatoid arthritus and various other medical conditions, including chronic liver disease (PSC), there is no cure for this and as my liver has been deteriorating I have been told I may need to be assessed for a liver transplant in the future.
    My question for anyone who could offer any advice is that I have had no bad flare-ups for a couple of months, just chronic fatigue which the Doctors say could be due to either lupus or my liver problems, and painful knuckles. Because I receive the highest rate of mobility allowance and middle rate for care, I thought I should inform the DWP and maybe if I am still entitled to this benefit I should be reduced to the lower rate for each component. I spoke to my GP about this and she said to leave it as if things change I would have difficulty claiming again. I have always felt extremely guilty about receiving benefits and have never taken advantage of all that I could, e.g. mobility car, road tax paid, etc. and only ever use my Disabled Parking Permit on particularly 'bad days'. I wondered if anyone else has had this 'dilemma'?
    Thanks in anticipation!
    Gladys

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi there,

I don't have knowledge of the system where you are but I would definitely go with the GP on this one. You are not receiving something you shouldn't and not defrauding anyone of anything but you do have an (at least one) unpredictable disease which has variable periods of good (or slightly better) and bad. The very nature of the disease means that you cannot rely on a good spell lasting and I would certainly want a LOT more than 2 months before asking myself such questions :hug:

Katharine

3. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

I would go with the doctors advice to!

It's nice to hear that you are having a good spell and I do hope it lasts a long time, but as Katharine says you are not defrauding anyone, your disease is very unpredictable.

PS...youve been awarded your Disabled Parking Permit ....please use it, all days, not just the one's you think are bad! Who knows you the days you have not used it, you may have caused yourself to overdo things....and then by next day are using it because you are in pain. The badge is to help prevent you making yourself ill and in pain as well , not just because you are in pain.

Take care and best wishes,

4. redknight

redknight Registered

Hi Gladys,
    I was born with Cerebral Palsy which, in my case, means that I am partially paralysed on my left side. I've had a knee replacement and surgery on my foot so walking is painful 'normally' even without a Lupus flare. I didn't know that I was entitled to a Disabled Parking Badge until 9 years ago and I didn't know I was entitled to D.L.A until 6 years ago. I got D.L.A. before I was diagnosed with Lupus (5 years ago).

I have been told (by friends) to re-apply as I should get a higher rate personal care but my GP says not to as because Lupus is so unpredictable, they ( the D.W.P.) will try to 'trick' you into 'revealing' what you can do on the best day you've ever had, then use that as a reason to either reduce or to stop the benefit altogether. So. I would agree with your GP, Katharine and Lesley, you are not to feel guilty at all.

I am very pleased that you are feeling so well at the moment but the nature of Lupus is that you never know when it'll come back and bite you on the bum. It would be awful if you got your money reduced or stopped then had a flare. It is my understanding that you cannot re-apply after a review for up to 6 months.

Sorry if I waffled a bit too much but please DO NOT feel guilty.

5. gladys

gladys Registered

Thank you very much for your kind replies. I think I was born with a guilt complex - my husband says I am 'crackers'!! As he says I was awarded these benefits because of my medical history and after my GP had detailed how bad things were. On reading your comments you all make it seem sensible not to do anything 'hasty' so I will leave things for now and see what the future brings. One thing that is true is that when I have a good spell I tend to do too much and of course invariably end up paying for it for the next few days. Once again thanks and I wish everyone well.

With Very Best Wishes from Gladys

6. KarenM

KarenM Registered

Hi Gladys

I can only echo what other posters have said, go with your GP's advice. You are not in any way, shape or form, defrauding the system, you have very real bone fide conditions, and Lupus being unpredictable I think your rate is justified. Given the toughening up of the system benefits are going to increasingly hard to get and indeed current awards hung onto, the goal posts having shifted drastically for entitlements. You have nothing to feel guilty for honestly you dont.