Quinacrine (Mepacrine) Side Effects? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Quinacrine (Mepacrine) Side Effects?

Discussion in 'Medications' started by Sierra Mays, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Sierra Mays

Sierra Mays New Member

My doctor wants to put me on Quinacrine (a compound medication) after having a mild allergic reaction to Plaquenil.
    Does anyone have experience with this medication and its side effects???

Thanks!

-Sierra M.

2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya...there are some on here that have or have now, that combination...hopefully they will be along soon to answer your question...……...Claire

3. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

I was on it for about 1 year. The main problem is yellowing of the skin. In particular soles of feet and nail bed. I stopped taking it in November last year and my fingers are still yellow. I also found I got bruising with it. I think it causes mild bone marrow suppression. Urine can also go yellow. One word of advice regarding quinacrine, do not drink alcohol whilst taking it otherwise you will get this flushing reaction.

Also, it has quite a foul taste, so I would advise a large glass of water whilst taking it. Otherwise It is a good medication, it did work for me for a while. Then unfortunately the problems went around the medication.

Kind regards
    Mark

4. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

I have taken it for years without problems of any sort. I'm sure there's a lot about it on the medications section.
    Now it's the only anti-malarial I can take since after many of Plaquenil and Choroquine I developed retinal problems.
    One good side effect of Quinacrine is that it's especially helpful against fatigue. I notice the difference in my energy and mood if I don't take it for a while.
    In the USA it comes in gel capsules so there's no problem with the bitter taste. I take it with a large glass of dilute lime juice cordial. I take a few swigs of it first to make sure my throat's in swallowing mode then pop the pill, immediately followed by a large swig of the lime juice and then my other pills.
    We each react very differently to medicines, both benefits and problems. My skin isn't yellow, and yellow urine and sweat don't bother me. Any staining can easily be dealt with.

5. Sierra Mays

Sierra Mays New Member

Thank you all for your feedback. It means a great deal. I just started it 2 days ago, no problems yet. We will see what the future holds.

Sierra M