Recently diagnosed | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Recently diagnosed

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Will, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Will

Will New Member

Well I just received my 2nd opinion so Lupus it is which I find very, very odd that not many men have this but many many women do. I am not currently taking medications as I did go 100% plant based eating and have been joint pain free for four weeks now, I don't know that I will go on medication if modified eating can get me the results. The only thing that has not changed is my level of fatigue, but I've felt this way so many years it feels normal.

2. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hi Will and:welcome:

We have a few male members on the forum and I'm sure they'll share their experiences with you. In any case we're all in the same boat and we all hellp each other along.

Has your rheumatologist got a plan to start you on medication? Commonly Hydroxychloroquine/ Plaquenil is the baseline drug that is used for Lupus which for me was a game changer. I started to feel so different that I actually realised how bad I had been feeling if that makes sense?

I've since had methotrexate added to the mix and a couple of others with the odd burst of steroids to kick it into touch. A lot of people look to change lifestyle habits which can only be good but personally speaking, I wouldn't be without my medications.

All the best anyway, you'll have to let us know how you get on.
    Best wishes,
    Jess.

wolf1 and Will like this.
  3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Welcome Will.

We have several members like yourself wanting to stay away from medications. It works for some and not others. It will help if you figure out what your triggers are. A few of mine are overdoing, sun, and stress. When I limit those things I flare less often. The reason doctors like to prescribe Plaquenil right off the bat is because they have found it offers kidney and some sun protection. Unfortunately fatigue seems to be a constant battle for many of us. Keeping the disease in control helps though.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

wolf1 likes this.
  4. Will

Will New Member

Well I have red splotches under my eyes. It isn’t first but maybe the worst. Oh my gosh what the hell next?!?!?!

5. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

I’m not able to take meds coz the turn against me so I have steroid injections. Haven’t had any since last November so hope I don’t get to bad
    Keep safe
    Wolf1

6. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Hi Will, welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised but happy a plant based diet seems to be working. I'm a veggie but find it hard going fully plant based. But what I have found works for me is CBD oil. The real thing or placebo effect? I don't know. But it works either way so I'm happy. Speak with your doctor or consultant to get advice for you as everyone tolerate things in different ways.

7. Will

Will New Member

Thank you everyone. I have not had any triggers as of yet. I have an appointment Thursday with my rheumatologist and they will prescribe Plaquinel. I am hesitant to take it, but with Covid and my kidney disease I think I will try listening to and doing what is suggested. I get depressed about all this. Before my diagnosis I was in constant pain in my joints. But changing my diet took it away. I am grateful but I have to be hyper vigilant about everything that enters my mouth. I just want to get high and veg out. But I’m a manager of a plant and I frequently work side by side with my laborers trying to regain my strength from losing 50 lbs in 8 weeks. I’m so tired and weak but I force myself daily to work up a sweat every day and get my heart rate up NN the 140’s.

Surferboy likes this.
  8. MissDaisy 1

MissDaisy 1 Member

I have been taking Plaquenil for close to four years. At the start my GERD symptoms increased but that settled down. I do have to see my eye doctor yearly as Plaquenil rarely affects your eyes. Your rheumatologist can explain all that.

Hope this helps!

Surferboy likes this.