Red / yellow eyes? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Red / yellow eyes?

Discussion in 'Looking Good, Feeling Better' started by GiGi2877, Nov 20, 2014.

1. GiGi2877

GiGi2877 New Member

Ever since I started getting iritis in my early 20s my eyes have been a yellowish and blood-shot, even when I'm not having a flare up. My ophthalmologist wasn't worried, and recommended lubricant for dry-ness. Which is nice, but I wish there was something I could do to get clear-looking eyes. I also try to hydrate and get enough rest (ha!) Not necessarily looking for something to shock the blood vessels, just any tips.

Any ideas?

2. sobecksk1

sobecksk1 Kayla

Try a cool compress with a eye mask. It helps with inflammation and burning. I have found that even organic, non fragrance moisturizer will even make mine worse and also spritz sprays etc,. Eyedrops help some. The gel ones actually made my eyes hurt. Lighting of any kind will aggravate it too.

3. sobecksk1

sobecksk1 Kayla

Have you checked your Immunoglobulins?

4. GiGi2877

GiGi2877 New Member

Compresses are a great idea! Never done that, or at least not in many years. Do you put in artificial tear eyedrops as a matter of routine? I wait until mine are hurting, but they hurt so often from the things you say, that some mild discomfort feels normal.

No, I haven't checked Immunoglobulins yet. Thanks, I'll ask my rheumatologist about it when I visit in a few weeks!

5. sobecksk1

sobecksk1 Kayla

Sorry, late response.....i only use them if my eyes are burning and or dry. If they are just inflammed, I do not use them. I never have really asked about eyedrops though, this is an annoyance that I can tolerate more than the other symptoms I go through so when it is time for each appointment I do not think about my eye inflammation. I need a whole day with a doctor to go through my list of weirdness.

6. GiGi2877

GiGi2877 New Member

Kayla, make a list, you never know when weirdness might be important!

Interesting to see the timing on my thread. I first posted at the end of November, and my eyes were a problem all through December. Just a day or so ago I looked at my eyes and they're much better. Not as dry or red.

The cause of the difference? Kinda embarrassed to say so. My husband and I give up all alcohol in January, and have for the past few years. This was the first year where I really felt my body needed the de-tox. We had gotten into bad habits.

Don't know if I was just drinking too much, or whether my auto-immune issues made drinking harder on my body, but one way or another a few weeks of alcohol free time has helped a lot of little things like the eyes. Now that February approaches, I'll have to think about drinking again: whether moderation is worth it or stick with mostly abstaining.

Thanks for the replys!